Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Asphalt material handling system in low clear height Tunnel

Status
Not open for further replies.

tarekzad

Industrial
Aug 24, 2018
SA
Our scope of work is to do asphalting for a 2.2 KM double cell 8-meter width tunnel, the clear height of the tunnel is around 7 meters and asphalt trucks will not be capable of doing the tipping operation. therefore we need a special material handling system to deliver the hot asphalt into the tunnel ( from the truck to the paver hopper).

Any past experience with using cascaded screw conveyors to transfer the Hot Asphalt Batch from the gate of the tunnel (continually) to the paver point??

One of the cases similar to our case is the Catesby Racing Tunnel which is converted from a railway tunnel to super car Formula 1 Testing tunnel as a wind tunnel. very limited working height

Tarek Barham
+971563188219
tarek@zadconsult.com

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=b6adfc51-0b6a-4ba0-9f18-85fc4135c702&file=catesby_tunnel_After.JPG
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Dear Little Inch

We are in Saudi Arabia and we don't have such a machine in stock or for rent.
On more think, when it comes to rubber belts, I think it won't be standing with asphalt temp. (200 C)?

have you tried a reputable brand, so I can start Communicating with.

Tarek Barham
+971563188219
tarek@zadconsult.com

I don't. Just pointing out that there are alternatives and several links quote asphalt.

For 2.2 km it might be worth importing them for this project.

You say you need something special, well this is something special....

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

Dear Littel Inch

Thanks for your support and cooperation.
The problem is not on the import concept, the problem is on the delivery time. so we are to improvise with some material handlings solution like cascadable conveyor belt or cascadable screw conveyor to finish the project on time.
Yes for 2.2 Km, it is worth importing but only if we have time.

I will keep you posted with any solution found.

Tarek Barham
+971563188219
tarek@zadconsult.com

I would think the problem with any kind of conveyor system is keeping the asphalt hot enough to place until it gets to where you need it. For that, you're probably going to need some type of heated (or at least well insulated) buggy that you can roll in to be able to place the asphalt near the middle of the tunnel.

Dear OSUcivlEng

usually, there are NO too many tunnels in Saudi Arabia, there form the classical transportation system is the tipper truck.

Due to the height of the Tunnel and the presence of some cable trays and pipes, the clear height is not adequate for the big or medium-sized tipping truck to open a full hydraulic jack length.

The links you provided for astecindustries equipment are good to shuttle the asphalt however it still needs a truck to dump the material in.

anyhow, thank you for sharing the links.

Tarek Barham
+971563188219
tarek@zadconsult.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back