Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Assemblies Containing Adjustable Parts

Status
Not open for further replies.

bbrown611

Automotive
May 3, 2006
US
Hello-
I'm a newbie in Solid Edge and I have run into a problem working with assemblies that contain adjustable parts.

I've created an assembly of a frame that is mostly made up of identical angle iron of multiple lengths. I made this angle iron component an adjustable part with length as the adjustable variable.

The angle iron portion of the assembly works great, but now that I want to assemble additional brackets (rigid parts) to the angle iron I get the message "The requested relationship conflicts with others and cannot be placed".

Is it not possible to constrain rigid parts to an adjustable part within the same assembly? I've found that if I add the frame as a subassembly I can assemble rigid parts to those same faces, but I would like to those parts to exist within the frame assembly.

Sorry about the long-winded post and thanks in advance for any responses.

Bill

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I just tried (on V19) and it looks like you can't directly constrain a rigid to an adjustable.
However, in the assembly you can create planes or co-otdinate systems relative to the adjustable part and then constrain onto those.

bc.
2.4GHz Core2 Quad, 4GB RAM,
Quadro FX4600.

Thanks for looking at this bc. I should have mentioned I'm using v20 in my original post. I tried what you recommended this morning and it worked fine. I just wish I could constrain to the faces themselves.

Thanks again!
Bill

Sorry I took so long to answer.
I just noticed today that the post had no replies so thought I'd take a look.

bc.
2.4GHz Core2 Quad, 4GB RAM,
Quadro FX4600.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back