Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Assembly Alignment

Status
Not open for further replies.

cmosen

Mechanical
Apr 1, 2010
NZ
I am modelling a fishing reel for a CAD assignment at university and cannot figure out how to dimension the bail arm so that it lines up with both holes.

I have used a pin constraint to align it with the first hole shown in the second image but am unsure how to adjust the bail arms size so that it will fit into the second hole. I think I may need to use the 'Make Flexible' command but am unsure how to go about doing so.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

cmosen,

It doesn't look like you bail arm is even in the same plane. You could try to do a make flexible and point to the angle of the centerline to the second hole but depending on how you made your bail arm (looks like a sweep), you may not be able to pick the dimension to vary. What parts on your assembly are moveable? I'm not too familiar with fishing reels, sorry.

i managed to solve the problem by creating the part in the assembly so i could reference the centres of the holes etc.

Watch out doing that, because if you make a drawing of that part, and need to bring it up to print for production, it might not load since the assembly isn't loaded.

David

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back