Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Assembly backup

Status
Not open for further replies.

MCADTrans

Mechanical
Jun 26, 2007
US
Is there a way to "backup" an assembly to a different location?? Pro/E and Solidworks have a saveas option to create a backup of the entire assembly. Can this be done in Unigraphics (NX4)? It used to be done as a "clone" but I do not have those capabilities here.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Option 1. There's the 'Save All As' application available (google it for d/l) but it only gathers all loaded parts ...

Option 2. Combine option 1. with a self-made .net program to load all loaded parts drawings and everything somewhere ...

Option 3. Solidworks is well ahead, my friend.

toniechang,
Option 1... I found the thread where SOLIDNX links to the download but the site is not available any more. Do you have this or where I can get it?

"Option 1. There's the 'Save All As' application available (google it for d/l) but it only gathers all loaded parts ...

Option 2. Combine option 1. with a self-made .net program to load all loaded parts drawings and everything somewhere ...

Option 3. Solidworks is well ahead, my friend."

Option 3 is funny.

Justin Ackley
Designer

It's even funnier when you think about who SW is renting the kernal from.

Tim Flater
Senior Designer
Enkei America, Inc.

Some people are like slinkies....they don't really have a purpose, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

Has anyone of you ever heard of 'Copy & Paste' from one folder to another using Windows Explorer? If that's not what you looking for, you can insert 'ugpc.exe' in a command line which will collect all the components of an assembly allowing yout to copying files from one folder to aonther.

Useage details for 'ugpc.exe' are as follows:

ugpc [-a] [-s] [-n] [-p<directory1> ...] <part1> [ <part2> ...]

UGPC Help: ugpc takes the following arguments:

<part1> <part2>
This argument specifies one or more part filenames to produce a listing
for. This is the only ugpc argument that is not optional.

-n
This optional argument indicates that ugpc should print the number
of components found at a given level.

-s
This optional argument indicates that ugpc should print an indented listing
of the assembly structure. If a number is specified immdediately after
the -s (e.g -s4) you can control the amount of the indentation,

-p<directory1> -p<directory2>
This optional argument provides a way to specify one or more directories
for ugpc to search for components in. The directory must be specified
immediately after the -p without a space (e.g -p/parts/released)

-a
This optional argument specifies that the assembly should be reported
`as saved'. By default, ugpc will attempt to search for components in
directories where the top-level assembly or its components have previously
been found. If this option is used, ugpc will not attempt to do this.

Note that the use of this utility is covered in the User Documentation (just do a search on 'ugpc' to find all that you'll need).

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
UGS NX Product Line
SIEMENS
UGS PLM Software
Cypress, CA

Thanks John.
This is what I was looking for. Given a directory with "a bagillion" part files in it and I only need a few hundred isolated for my assembly, copy and paste as provided by the team from Redmond Washington does not quite cut it. I will try this UG option and see how it works. I did not intend my posting to turn into a UG bashing session, just used Pro and Solidworks as an example of what I needed to do. Is there any thought in the UG development world to make this easier to do such as from the UG GUI (File-Save Assembly As) or something to that effect?

Hey John
ugpc is / command line tools
are nice but they are from computer stoneage
look for ugzip assembley from wiedemann or solid nx
save all as they are from the 21 century
cloning is a solution, too. But even complex like command line

I'm suprised that nobody has suggested cloning as a solution to this request.

Personally I prefer it since it will also give me option to rename part or all of the file name (such as rev letter or number for us non-teamcenter drivers).

ugdriver

Mama's don't let your children grow up to be aerospace tool designers...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back