Feb 18, 2005
US
See these simple dipswitches?
All three of them?

20170226_022648_dkbh4p.jpg

They are the same on ten boards.

They're backwards.
URL]

I need some suggestions on how to remove them, preferably keeping them intact so they can be re-installed correctly. Normally I'd just cut all their leetle feets off and be done with it, but I actually can't get to the feet in between with cutters.

I have a hot air pen but there is no way it will heat all 20 pins at once.

If I put them in the reflow oven everything will be roasted again and the bad thing is that in the scope of it all those partially shielded pins are the last things to melt.

Ack! and these are double sided boards so all the bottom parts would fall off.
URL]

Keith Cress
kcress -

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Personally, I'd have gone with the felt tip pen approach, or a rewrite of the instruction manual for these "special" versions - how often does the user flip those bits anyways?

I would have printed out some lovely decals, to swap the switch numbering end-to-end.

(Same approach as the felt pen, but neater.)

You're getting 20M for a circuit board? Need a mech-E? I can solder...sort of.

But, if the situation is: your $100 circuit board fixes a problem with your customer's 20M equipment..."hey, customer, read the dip switch carefully on these, they are reversed". If they only set it once at installation, no huhu.

If the customer is paying for these - which he almost certainly is - then he'll want them to his approved design and be able to insist that they are if necessary. Why would you expect the customer to accept a board with a manufacturing defect, regardless of whether it works or not? I completely understand why Keith has wanted / needed to re-work these boards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back