Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Assembly Configurations

Status
Not open for further replies.

sams

Mechanical
Mar 13, 2000
US
I have created an assembly.
It can have two operating positions
open position and closed position.
When I make two configurations
both the assemblies take either
close or open state, and not what
I expect to see, one assy configuration
open and the other configuration in
closed position.
Could one of the reader of this forum
tell me which switch I am not
setting correctly here, or what am
I doing wrong?
Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

sams,

You have three choices for a two position assembly.

[ol]
[li]Apply two assembly constraints, each of which is active in one configuration, and suppressed in the other.[/li]
[li]Apply an assembly dimension. Vary it from configuration to configuration.[/li]
[li]Do not apply constraints to the features that move. Install your assembly as flexible, and apply constraints at the next assembly level. You will have to read up on and around hack a bit with flexible assemblies.[/li]
[/ol]

If you have one assembly with two positions, I strongly recommend the use of a design table. The design table allows you to maintain the same BOM entry for both assembly configurations. The differences between the two assemblies is shown explicitly on the design table.

Critter.gif
JHG

I prefer to do it without a design table unless it is very complicated mates and or movement. You end up with a messy design table. For simple mates and movement apply your mate for one position. Once it is applied right click on it and select configure feature. The Modify configurations menu will show up. (See Attached) from here you can create new configurations and suppress them. From my experience when mate suppression is applied in this menu it will hold from configuration to configuration. If you just right click and suppress in one configuration then go to another it may or may not stay suppressed. Hope it helps

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=641447d6-f35f-4d3c-aa7f-b4b15fa07d2d&file=sld_tips.JPG
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back