Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Assembly configurations 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

prooney

Mechanical
Apr 19, 2006
US
I've got an assembly that has a part that telescopes in and out and I want to show a it in both states, fully extended and compressed. What's would be the best way to do this?

I'm thinking by using a configuration in the assembly but I'm not really sure how to make it happen the way I want it to. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If you want it to move, use Limit Mates in the assy and alternate position views in a drawing. If you don't need it to move between min and max positions, then just use configs and suppress mates.

"Art without engineering is dreaming; Engineering without art is calculating."

Have you read faq731-376 to make the best use of these Forums?

I have them set up with a limit/distance mate in the assembly. What I want to be able to show is both the retracted and extended positions on the drawings to show the distance that the part can travel.

Then you probably want 3 configurations, it has worked well for me.
1. Default - Uses your Limit Distance mate & is your flexible or working configuration
2. Installed Min - for drawing use
3. Installed Max - for drawing use

you can couple these configurations together in the same view on your drawing using 'Alternate Position View' feature.

prooney,
Have you taken a look at the tutorials available in the help section of SolidWorks? They will go a long way to helping you answer your "how do I.." questions.

Jeff Mirisola
My Blog

Ok I looked thru the alternate position help section that CBL linked above. Using the example that SW has in that help file I'm assuming that the configurations you would have would be open and closed for the toggle clamp shown, how would you create those configurations in the assembly file? I have a similar toggle clamp that I'm messing around with to get an understanding of using configurations with it. Maybe I'm not thinking about this the correct way, maybe having a brain fart.

Jeff,

Yes I've looked thru the help sections of SolidWorks. Maybe in tis instance I should go thru this certain area again.

Ok I think I got it figured out somewhat. I used the toggle clamp I had modeled up and added an "opened" configuration and used mates to achieve what I wanted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back