Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Assembly Constrains in new NX 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

DATS

Mechanical
Dec 30, 2009
IN
Hi,

In earlier NX version we had mating constrains, which works in a way as FROM-TO approach while selecting the order of constrains.

FROM - Bolt center moves TO block center axis.

Now in new NX version, we have assembly constrain. It does not have any control over which component has to move around which component. This makes me to re-do my constraining steps till I get this correct.

Is there a easy approach in assembly constrains?

Thank you for answering.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If you are working with two completely unconstrained components when creating a constraint; in general, the first component you pick will remain stationary and the second component will move to it to satisfy the constraint.

The most predictable way that I've found is to start with the most significant component (chassis, main housing, base plate, etc) and make that component fixed (add a fixed constraint) then proceed to constrain the other components to it. The fixed component will remain stationary and the other components will move to it. With the older "mating constraints", the "fixed" constraint was frowned upon as it could cause problems later; however, this is not the case with the new assembly constraints.

www.nxjournaling.com

Cowski is correct in stating that if you're used to the way the 'old' Mating Conditions worked then your 'new' workflow should include adding a 'Fixed' constraint to either the first Component placed, or as he suggested, the one that is the most significant. In the old Mating Conditions, you have NO choice as the first Component placed was automatically Fixed and could NOT be changed. With Assembly Constraints you have complete control over which Component(s) are fixed or which are not, and while there is NO absolute requirement that ANY Components be Fixed, it's still better if at least one is, but now you have a choice, irrespective of the order in which Components are added to your Assembly.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Engineering Software
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Digital Factory
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

OK this explains why when you run the Convert Mating Conditions (e.g. NX4 files -> NX10) a Fix constraint is added to one part in some assemblies.

Paul Turner
CAD & Process Engineer
Mastip Technology

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back