Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Assembly Cuts, HELP

Status
Not open for further replies.

tlawrence

Military
Jun 30, 2005
US
I have the assignment to figure out how to put over 10000 assembly cuts into a large assembly. 1st assembly gets about 300 cuts or holes, we have not decided which will be better. That assembly is assembled to the next level and it will get 500 more cuts or holes and so on. When I am thru there will be over 20 assembly levels stacked up with all these cuts or holes. This will also have a lot of nested cuts. We do have 64 bit machines but I think that will even give them problems when I am finished.
Has anyone ever solved this before?? HELP

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Do the cuts follow any sort of pattern? Could the cut locations be set up in a table or a simple pattern? In the past when I used to work with Pro-E I used a UDF for whatever feature I needed to repeat. This could be a simple pattern (table, rectangular, or circular) or you could write a script that simply repeats the command using data driven from a table or data file.

There will be patterns, but a lot of different ones. Most of the patterns will be about 25 to 50 cuts. Some of them will be nested, (one assembly gets pilot holes and the next assembly puts the holes in more parts).

My experience with assembly cuts says this will come tumbling down like a house of cards. Pro/E will let you create them, make drawings, save everything. When you open it the next day you will get regeneration failure after regeneration failure. I quit using assembly cuts long ago, maybe Pro/E does a better job with them now.

If you do get the assembly cut to work you probably should look into copying the surfaces of the first cut, patterning the surfaces and solidifying. This can speed regeneration time a lot.

I thought about that but I could not figure out how to do that in assembly mode. I have gone part of the way with the cuts and holes and by the time I got to the 1500th cut it was taking a lot of regen time. No failures just taking a lot of time.
I wish I could do this another way but they want Engineering to match Manufacturing. So I need to try to comeup with something or request a bigger computor. LOL That's an IDEA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back