Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Assembly Directory Cleanup

Status
Not open for further replies.

AdvantageDesign

Automotive
May 19, 2005
US
I have an assembly which contains 100+ parts. This assembly was modified and some components have been removed. The deleted parts remain in the directory. Is there a way to remove all of these deleted parts from the directory automatically? From what I have read, you can use the ugpc command to copy the assembly to a new directory. The instructions for this command aren't very clear. My goal is to have a directory that contains only the assembly file and the current piece parts. Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

There is no automated method for removing unused files.

"Wildfires are dangerous, hard to control, and economically catastrophic."
"Fixed in the next release" should replace "Product First" as the PTC slogan.

Ben Loosli
CAD/CAM System Analyst
Ingersoll-Rand

There is a program called UGZipC. You can get it here:
Once installed it adds "Zip file" to your export menu. You can export individual parts or your entire assembly. Once you export the assembly to a zip file and save it somewhere other than your work directory, you can then go into your work directory...delete everything....then extract that zip file back to your directory and you'll be left with nothing but what's actually needed. Make sure you save everything before creating the zip....the program doesn't export what's currently loaded..it just grabs the files off the disk. The program also comes in handy when sending your files out...makes it a lot easier to export only what you need to an archive. I started using this program years ago when I stumbled across it. When doing tool designs your work directory can get really full of old, unwanted files.

Take care....

No problem.....if your files aren't being backed up I would also recommend saving a copy of your work directory somewhere just in case you delete something you didn't mean to.

You know...as far as your grid lines go...back in the days when I was doing headlights I created a seperate file with nothing in it but grid lines...x,y,and z. I then would either import that file into my component or make it a sub-component of my assembly. You could even set up reference sets for x,y,and z lines if you wanted to or use layering to control them. I created my labels way out on the ends of the lines in 3d simply for reference then in drafting I would just label them in the views as necessary. Just a thought....

Take care....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back