Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

assembly/drawing crashing solidworks

Status
Not open for further replies.

spitfire2332

Mechanical
Apr 10, 2010
US
I have this assembly file, roughly 4mb and a drawing for it roughly 11mb. I had the assembly open this morning and made some changes to it and saved it. Now when I try to open the drawing OR the assembly solidworks crashes. It seems like during loading its getting to certain part files and then just craps out. I did add an assembly to this assembly; however, I am able to open those files all day long. Everything else seems to open and work just fine. Any thoughts before I go ahead and start from scratch?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

maybe pack and go and file it in another folder. then try to reopen to see if that fixes it.

Colin Fitzpatrick (aka Macduff)
Mechanical Designer
Solidworks 2009 SP 4.1
Dell 490 XP Pro SP 2
Xeon CPU 3.00 GHz 3.00 GB of RAM
nVida Quadro FX 3450 512 MB
3D Connexion-SpaceExplorer

LOL! That's funny Anna

Mechanical Designer
Solidworks 2009 SP 4.1
Dell 490 XP Pro SP 2

I went ahead and did a selective load and unchecked the assembly I thought was causing the issues. once I did that it opened fine, I was then able to unhide the assembly and open the drawing fine. I still have no idea what was causing the issue. oh well, everything works now.

macduff,

Not trying to be a wise *!&%. :)

I have had SolidWorks get stupid and stuck on an action. A computer restart has often solved the issue. Sometimes it is that simple. :)

Lots of people leave their computers running all the time, never restarting SolidWorks or the computer. Need to do that to clear out the space dust.

I restart my computer every night before I go home. I rarely have issues with SolidWorks.

FWIW,

Anna Wood
Core i7 EE965, FirePro V8700, 12 Gb RAM, OCZ Vertex 120 Gb SSD, Dell 3008WFP 30" Monitor
SW2010 SP2.1, Windows 7 x64

Anna, I was laughing because we have folks here that do the same thing, just leave there CPU on, and on all the time. I do the same as you and shutdown SW every night to clear out the SW dust bunnies.

Cheers,

Colin

Mechanical Designer
Solidworks 2009 SP 4.1
Dell 490 XP Pro SP 2

macduff,

One of our engineers does that to. He is the one that often has some nagging issues with his models. I just shake my head everytime he starts complaining about his computer and/or SolidWorks. He is his own worst enemy. :)

Cheers,

Anna Wood
Core i7 EE965, FirePro V8700, 12 Gb RAM, OCZ Vertex 120 Gb SSD, Dell 3008WFP 30" Monitor
SW2010 SP2.1, Windows 7 x64

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back