Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Assembly Family Table in Pro-E Wildfire 4.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Assocracer

Mechanical
Dec 8, 2011
US
I'm trying to set up a family table in Wildfire 4.0 in an assembly and am ready to throw my computer out the window.

This is what I need to do:
I have the generic assembly with all of the assembly components in it. I have four parts in an assembly. Two of one kind and two of another. They are both very similar (have same bolt patterns that match to a hole pattern on their mating part). In one configuration, one of the parts goes in it's active location, while the other part goes in it's storage position. In the the other configuration, the parts are swapped. However, BOTH parts are there in each configuration, just in different locations. I've created two sets of constraints for each part and just enable one set of constraints for each instance. How do I get the configurations to work the way I need them to. That is, in one configuration I have the original set of constraints enable, and in the other configuration I need the other set of constraints enabled. Right now I go into each configuration (open the original file, select the configuration that I need) and try to set the constraints I want for THAT particular configuration, but it changes in both configurations and the generic. So how do I get the parts to be in one location in the generic, another location in one configuration and another location in the second configuration but all parts still present in all configurations? Pro-E help files are useless as usual.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I've never tried to put constraints into the family table. I don't think that can be done. You can only add dimensions, features, components, parameters, groups, reference models, merged parts, pattern tables and "Other". I have no idea what falls under "Other".

If your different positions are simple translation or rotation you can assemble with offsets or rotation and put those dimensions in the family table. If you need completely different orientations I think you will have to put the part in twice in the generic in the different locations then add both to the family table and pick which one is present in the instances (yes or no in the table).

----------------------------------------

The Help for this program was created in Windows Help format, which depends on a feature that isn't included in this version of Windows.

You may want to look at using flexible components for your part positions. Then you can set the position based on a parameter value.

You have 1 assembly file with 4 components or 2 sub-assemblies each with 2 parts?

The only assmebly-level family tables I have made were multiple lengths of wire trays with covers and nuts. The trays, covers and nuts were family tables to begin with.

"Wildfires are dangerous, hard to control, and economically catastrophic."

Ben Loosli

I have one assembly with 4 components total (two each of two different components). So it doesn't work like Solidworks where I can create a configuration with the components one way and another with the components a different way but only keeping the original four in the assembly? How does that work then when I basically put 4 of each component in the assembly instead of two with my bill of materials that is based on the generic assembly? I don't want that to show 2 more of each part. Can I suppress the parts I don't need to show up on the generic?

"Can I suppress the parts I don't need to show up on the generic?"

Yes

You can also use "simplified reps" which behave more like salidworks configurations.

----------------------------------------

The Help for this program was created in Windows Help format, which depends on a feature that isn't included in this version of Windows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back