Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Assembly Level Feature

Status
Not open for further replies.

gedkins

Mechanical
May 11, 2001
US
I need to create a hole that appears only at the assembly level that intersects multiple parts. The idea being a "drill upon assembly" process. How is this accomplhished (if it can be) in NX2?

TIA

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It can be done with a feature called body promotion. I don't use it often so I can't give many specifics, but you can look it up in the help files.

Basically, you need to promote all of the bodies in the assembly that the hole will pierce and then create the hole.

"Wildfires are dangerous, hard to control, and economically catastrophic."
"Fixed in the next release" should replace "Product First" as the PTC slogan.

Ben Loosli
CAD/CAM System Analyst
Ingersoll-Rand

Gedkins,
Another approach is to 'wave link' the component(s) into the assembly, which would allow you to modify the component (match drilling as you cite) at the assembly level. It's very similar to 'promotion of bodies', but is much more powerful. If I'm not mistaken, wave linking is the preferred method over promoting the bodies, which is kept around more for legacy files than for utilizing with new data. Online docs are chucked full of info...

SS

I think you need a certain license to do wave linking, but body promotion is part of the basic assembly (or maybe modeling) license. Not a knock against wave linking, but something to be aware of.

Wave linking is probably the easiest and safest method for what you want and you don't need a special license for it, it is included in the assembly license.

The WAVE license is used for the more specialized WAVE linking and investigating techniques "these options can be found by right clicking in the assembly navigator and selecting WAVE mode".

When you wave link a component it will appear as a solid feature in the model navigator and as features they can be cut with assembly level cut features. You can have the assembled components suppressed and not affect the linked bodies. If the linked component gets changed you'll have to unsuppress it for the WAVE bodies to update to changes.

Michael

I have to admit I am not a big UG fan (hey CAD systems are like religions) having this use group is a godsend (catch that.. religion-godsend). You folks are always helpful and concise. To be honest, I don't even bother calling our internal help folks as this crew is light years ahead of them.

Thanks for the help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back