Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Assembly material

Status
Not open for further replies.

gurtej

Mechanical
Aug 25, 2008
CA
Hi

Is there any way we can custom put material in assembly model? I my assembly most of the parts are stainless steel 316 and few are also PVC parts. In the assembly model, in iproperties there is no material specified. So how can I specify a particular material there?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Assemblies are collection of parts, not a part themselves. As stated you cannot add a material to an entire assembly. Maybe you are asking the wrong question. Do you wish to change the properties of the components of the assembly? Do you want to add a Virtual Component that exists in design but not in modeled geometry?

I think you are trying to just change the materials of the parts and to do so you can use the Bill of Material in the assembly. That will change the Physical Properties of the components when you save the design.

As Mflayler said there is almost certainly a way to do whatever it is you want to do. It is just a matter of knowing exactly what it is you want to accomplish.

The way your OP was phrased, no, there is no way to apply a material to the assembly as a whole. This should be done at the part level.

David

In solidworks, in the assembly model properties, there is a tab of 'custom', there you can custom put the material for the whole assembly. I was looking something like that to do in Inventor.

Use the custom tab in the assemblies iproperties then just like Solidworks.
But why would you assign material for the whole assembly?
What are you trying to do?

It does not make sense to me to input a material value at the assembly level for an assembly that does not consist of a single material type. Perhaps if you explain the situation and why you need this capability we could provide you with an acceptable method of getting you what you want.

Do you just need a material name for a BOM or do you need it to calculate mass, or do you need it for something else entirely? Each one of these things requires different methods and has different issues involved.

David

Hi

In my assembly, most of the beams and other parts are of SS316 and there are few nuts and bolts and O-Rings of other material. In the title box, where we put material it is empty, I am not showing the bill of materials in the drawing and this drawing is labeled by balloons and text. Is it possible that I can put generic material in assembly model and the sheet will take the material from model properties automatically? If yes then I dont have to change the links on the sheet title box every time when I am working on different drawings. I was able to do this in solidworks.

You can Create a custom iProperty in the .IAM called "Material" or something similar and map the title block material callout to that iProp. Personally, I would not call out the material in my title block for an assembly for several reasons. First, the assembly does not consist entirely of a single material. And second, even if it did consist of a single material, each component should be detailed individually elsewhere with the materials called out accordingly. Perhaps you company's standards require this method but if it was me checking the print, I would take issue with this practice.

David

Leaving the material section blank in an assembly is correct. Putting a material in there for an assembly is wrong. Just leave it blank for assemblies and have it fill it in for parts based on the material.

Agreed with mcgyvr, the material is normally specified at part level.
In an assembly drawing you don't usually specify the material as this could be a combination of any number of different parts manufactured from different materials. If for example you force SS316 into your material box then this is actually incorrect as the assembly contains 'O' rings etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back