Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

assembly mates have slowed way down? 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

dgiy

Chemical
May 5, 2003
US
SW2003 sp3.1

I have an assembly ~70 parts. All of a sudden (meaning I don't know of a particular event or instance that cause it). The assembly mates and move/rotate component commands are taking extremely long. If I use mate/preview I have to way 10-15 sec to see it. It use to be ~instant.

Even if I load the parts lightweight it still takes ~7-10sec. Any suggestions on how to improve this/fix this?

Thanks,
DG

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Clean out your Temp directory located under C:\Documents and settings\{Login name}\Local settings\Temp NOTE: Local settings my be hidden. You will have to turn them on under Tools\Folder Options. Also you have to have admin rights to the computer

Close the assembly and run a search on any ~$ Remove all these temp files also.

Regards,

Scott Baugh, CSWP[wiggle][alien]
3DVision Technologies
faq731-376
When in doubt, always check the help

I have been having the same problem since upgrading to SP3.1.. But sometimes when I do the move/rotate, mate commands back to back the system hangs and then crashes.

I checked the temporary directories, but I found nothing there. Also I deleted the $ files as well, which did not help either.

Any information to fix this problem would be greatly appreciated. I am crashing 4 to 5 times a day on my assembly I am currently working with.

Regards,

Dale Rhinehart

Anytime you open SW or any program you should have something located in that file folder. Make sure those files are not hidden as well in the Local Settings\Temp folder

But if that doesn't work try this FAQ - faq559-507

Or if you can (If you used Windows Installer) back up a SP. If you used Tradational then you will have to uninstall and reinstall and if that's the case you might as well do a clean install of SW - faq559-488

One more thing just came to mind. You could try SP4.0 and see if that helps you out...

For Future Reference
The rule is if the SP your working on works for you, then don't fix (upgrade) something that isn't broken. Unless you need the upgrade, because that SP fixes a problem in the SP your using now. Let everyone else test the SP. I always have the latest because I have to have it. If I find anything major I'll let you guys know.

Regards,

3DVision Technologies
faq731-376

Thanks Scott... I really did not get the SP just have the latest and greatest... IS had to reconfigure my system the other week and in the proccess hosed SW and when they went to reinstall it SP3.1 was all they could get a hold of. Well that is what they told me anyway.

I know what you are talking about with the temp files, it surprised me they were not there. I am going to have to see if I can find them. It has me concerned they are not were they are supposed to be.

One more question for you SCott since I have your attention.. LOL

I was thinking of going to SP4 since this problem has come up. But I have one of my co-workers here that is telling me we can't upgrade one system to SP4 because it would not be compatible with the other stations we have. You I would open a file in SP4 and someone with SP3.0 or SP3.1 would not be able to. I do not think he is correct, but maybe I am wrong, it would not be first time. Could you shed some light on that issue for me.

Regards,
Dale

If a person within your company "like yourself" was to upgrade to SP4 while everyone else is still on SP3.1, is not a problem. It is when there are major version that this is a problem. If you were to install SW04 and everyone else was still on SW03, then they could not open up your models.

With you using SP4 and their on SP3.1 the only difference is the fact that you may get a bug that worked fine in SP3.1 but doesn't work anymore in SP4 and vise versus. They can have a bug in SP3.1 but is repaired in SP4.

SP's that are put out within one version (SW03) are only repair SP's not totally different versions...only repairs (or being a draftsman by nature) a revision.

Temp files:
You might check this out to make sure it's set up correctly.

1) Go to My computer
2) RMB and go to properties
3) Go to Advanced Tab
4) Click Environnment Variables
5) Check to make sure that you have a TEMP file (under "User variables for Administrators") follow the path to see where it points to.
6) Also check the system Variables under TEMP

This is where windows sets the temp directories.

I hope this helps you and your Colleagues!

[cheers],

3DVision Technologies
faq731-376

SBaugh,

I had same problem, but I was giving up since I only have P3-750MHz. It has been slow, especially when you pick a surface of a part in a big assembly to make a mate.

I checked the folder and I had 119 folders and 6606 files, total 283M!!! I didn't want to just delete, so I moved them into my temporally folder.

Amazingly, selecting a surface or editing mate runs extremely fast. Thanks SBaugh!!!

By the way, there are many folders that's name is "swx1612" and the first "swx" is same , but the last number. They look like SW related file, but is it so? If so, why and when are they created?

I don't know how they are named, but the folders I think are created when you open files or start SW. There are more than just SW files in there. Any program you open in windows will write temp files there. You need to close all programs (Example: Email, SW, Excel) then go to that folder and do a Select all and Delete all of them. It will not hurt your machine to remove those. If you get an Sharing violation just skip it and reselect all the files except that one and continue on with deleting them.

You have the record (In my book) of the largest temp file folder I have ever heard of - 283Megs. I think I might start a post on my site recording largest reported Temp file folder. If doesn't embarrass[blush] anyone. [lol].

Regards,

3DVision Technologies
faq731-376

Umm...

Go ahead and post. I don't mind to be a record holder. @(^^;;;

I saw few folders that are not related to SW and of course I closed all applications when I moved them. It seems everything is still ok, so I will go ahead and delete all that are moved.

I noticed a few folders are created as soon as I run SW and all are gone when I close SW, but "swxauto" and "VBE". It seems whenever SW crashes, these temporally folders other than "swxauto" and "VBE" stay. If there is no usage of that, SW should clean up next time SW is executed automatically, but meantime, I will manually delete.

That would be good Enhancement request...but since that is Windows folder, I don't think there is anything SW can do about the TEMP folder and all files that in it.

I'll start construction on a new webpage....can anyone beat LoveAeris record? [lol]

Best Regards,

3DVision Technologies
faq731-376

Well, I created a batch file and it cleans the folder easily.

1. Go to your "My Documents" folder by Explore
2. Create a new "Text Document" and name it "Clean_Temp.bat" You may get a caution when renaming, but go ahead and hit yes.
3. Right click on the file and select "Edit" (Don't double click or it will be executed.)
4. Type in as followed and save. Don't forget to change (your login name). If your login name is "aabbcc", it should be "cd C:\Documents and Settings\aabbcc\Local Settings" The path indicates a default and change it accordingly if you have customized.

C:
cd C:\Documents and Settings\(your login name)\Local Settings
rd /s/q Temp
md Temp

5. Right click on the file and select "Copy".
6. Right click on your Desktop and select "Paste Shortcut"

Now, you just double click the icon on your Desktop. Be careful about the path in the batch file because all files and folders will be deleted without going to Recycle Box. If you don't know what I am talking about, don't try.

I would add a little trick here

In order to avoid editing it for every user you can use system variable

cd %USERPROFILE%\Local Settings

BR

Linqur

scott I think I can beat that temp file size .
When I first started using the cad machines at work I cleaned out the temp file and got rid of around 360 - 380 meg of swx and other temp files .
once my temp file was cleaned out the comp didn't choke (much)hehe.
I think one other caddie at work has had higher than mine but don't know what it was!!
cheers
brett

Hi

Don't forget the SW backup folder! This folder can grow fast and you need to keep it under control. Don't delete backup of files that you are currently working on. You still may need them.

Why Windows doesn't clean the temp folder when we exit the OS or close programs? Is it a bug?

Another tip. If you usualy use Internet, be also careful with the Internet temporary files folder. It's amazing the MB's of crap that can be stored here!

Regards

macPT,

These files are created by applications and OS is not responsible to clean somebody's mess. Each application is designed to clean each time when closed, but whenever something happens, they are left over. I was a title holder of having a biggest TEMP folder, but more than 95% of 283M was created by SW.

I know about Back-up folder (as matter of fact, I disabled the option because of the speed. So, no back-up is created on my PC and I know the risk.) and Internet temporally files. I attended a few classes for SW, but no one or nobody told me that SW created folders and files under TEMP until SBaugh.

I agree with you that somebody should clean TEMP automatically, but I don't think OS should clean. I hope my batch file helps until SW has the feature.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back