Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Assembly Mirroring

Status
Not open for further replies.

donaldbrodie

Mechanical
Nov 30, 2005
GB
hi I have a quick question regarding assembly mirroring. If you build one side of a assembly with inplace mates, and want to mirror to the other side is there a quick way to mate the mirrored parts. At the moment I use a symmetry mate and then mate off the parent part. This seems a very long way round is there a better way ?

thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Depending on the design intent of the product, you may be able to simply Fix the mirrored parts in place after mirroring.

[cheers]
Helpful SW websites faq559-520
How to get answers to your SW questions faq559-1091

Speaking only from personal experience, no. I have never found a way to do that, and believe me, I've looked into it quite a bit. I feel your pain though.

I've always felt SW should have an associative "Mirror Pattern," much like a linear pattern. Maybe you and I could both write an Enhancement Request.

Windows 2000
P4 2.40 GHz
Video Card -
Manufacturer: NVIDIA Corporation
Card: Quadro4 900 XGL/PCI/SSE2
Driver: 6.14.10.7184

ng89 your right. It is a real pain especially when you have a large assembly that is constantly updating. Something like the dynamic mirror is sketch mode would be amazing. Why SW cant do this is beyond me. Would save hrs if not days of time for me. Anyway if you find a way pls let me know. Otherwise will have to wait and fingers crossed for the 07 release

thanks

When you mirror a a part in the assembly it tries to rebuild it with a mate, but you have to rememeber that one side has one face ID and the other side has a different ID. The Inplace mate uses an ID. THat ID maybe different on the otherside... if so then it can't find it.

I wish I had this functionality many years ago when I was designing... I wouldn't care if it place mates in there or not, because before you had to re-add all those components by hand, including the mates. Sometimes it just faster to still do that.

Regards,

Scott Baugh, CSWP [pc2]
faq731-376

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back