Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Assembly not accessible - part rolled back 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

lumenharold

Mechanical
Sep 6, 2006
US
This is the second time for this - After editing a part, saving and exiting to return to the assembly, a message stating that there is a part in roll back and the assembly is no longer accessible comes up. Sure enough, the assembly isn't accessible. Niether are the parts, or any save, close, update, etc commands. I can open the part files seperately and nothing is rolled back. In the assembly I was working on today, the 6 parts are all single feature (revolves) that are table driven. Any suggestions as what to look for would be appreciated.

Harold
SW2007 SP1.0 OW2006 SP4.0

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The only thing that I have tried is grabbing the rollback bar and dragging it to the top of the tree and back down again (if the assembly allows you to do this.) Also, try doing this in one of the part models as well. I read this suggestion somewhere else before and it has worked a few times for me.

I have had something similar a couple of times, but only when editing the part in the assy, and I could see the rollback bar was indeed rolled back to the point of edit. As AnneVan mentioned, just dragging the rollback bar has been the fix so far.

[cheers]

Once the message comes up it is too late. I can no longer access the part files via the tree and the assembly file will not allow any edits, etc.. Windows Task Manager is the only way out of SW. I have sent all the files and info to my VAR.

Harold

Yes, after re-starting SW and re-opening the assembly but prior to opening the part file. The only thing I can do after the message is rotate the part via my Spaceball. Rebuild, save, open (from the tree), ctrl+Q, undo, etc, do not work. Nothing is selectable including the big red "X" in the corner! This was a rare thing before this assembly. The only difference with this assembly is that most of the parts are table driven and all tables have formula's.

Harold

Out of curiosity lumenharold, what graphics card and driver are you using?

[green]"Art without engineering is dreaming; Engineering without art is calculating."[/green]

Have you read faq731-376 to make the best use of Eng-Tips Forums?

Graphics card and driver:
Nvidia Quadro fx500, driver version 6.14.10.7756

Just got off the phone w/VAR. We managed to reproduce the failure there and here: I have been opening the design table in a seperate window then right clicking the revolve to edit the sketch. After I close the table and then exit the sketch it's a done deal. Apparently I need to avoid that particular sequence.

Harold

Instead of actually opening the sketch for editing, just double click the sketch in the FM tree to display all the dimensions. You should not need to actually use the Edit Sketch function.

[cheers]

Solution found (thanks VAR): Open part file using toolbar icon, right click feature to edit sketch, close sketch and save part. When the file is closed the assembly is fine.

He tells me that it isn't proper to have both edit sketch and design table open and the software shouldn't allow it. Having both open makes for a loop that SW can't resolve.

Harold

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back