Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Assembly Question 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

gobigracing

Mechanical
Apr 7, 2008
US
Ok I trying to design and model a big project in solid works. To start with I know a few things.

Where and how it will mount to an existing place on the truck. And where the wheels will touch. I need to design everything in between. I figured I should do this is Assembly mode so that everything has relations with each other so if i change like the length or height it will change to middle components by itself.

Basically what I wanted to do is built the front and throw down so basic wheel and then build in between. Is this the way I should be doing this. Or is there a better way. Can you add Assembly relations later. Note: I don't mean mates and mean changing the part.

Also if this is the way to do this then any tips or tutorials. If not the how should I be doing this.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Your picture with all the different sketches is frightening! If I were you, I would try to master setting up different configurations. Based on what I've read in the thread, I'm going to assume this is your first big automotive assembly. I don't claim to know it all, but here are 10 tips I've learned over the years designing automotive assemblies:

1. Clearly define the goals you want your product to achieve and stick to them.
2. Clearly define the space you must design within.
3. Try to anticipate variables that may arise, and come to the most logical conclusion for your application and available manufacturing capabilities.
5. Understand the various design methods for the type of part you're trying to create.
6. Start with the internal parts and design around them.
7. Sometimes it is best to mate to a "master assembly layout sketch," but sometimes not.
8. Designing parts with external references is generally not a good practice.
9. Always make sure your sketches are fully defined before you create a feature from them.
10. Don't change anything, ever, to the parts if you need to make revisions after manufacturing. Save as a new, revised part.

Actually....11. structure your working folders so that you can find things easily.

Also, here is a picture of what my assemblies typically look like before I get crazy with them.

http://www.paradigmmotorsports.com/assets/images/pmrearend.jpg
thanks for the tips. I have redesign and now meet about 5 of them lol. I just made one in depth master model that I can change all of the things that I would need to. My devise will be usable on many different machines aka many different mounts. Then when I assembled it I just hid the master sketch and kept all of the normal sketches it is now very similar to yours.

BTW I must say I have used many different forums for a variety of different things and this is by far the most helpful and pleasant forum I've used.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back