Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Assembly Variation Analysis 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

runningman

Automotive
May 16, 2001
US
Can anyone comment on useful methods to study potential assembly variation caused by piece part variation? I am interested in analyzing the design of a sheet metal sub structure comprised of 15 to 20 parts that will be welded togeather. Some parts are hard tooled, others are formed on a brake. Normal process variation is known for all parts.

My goal is to estimate an achievable gap tolerance for a 5 piece thermoformed housing that will be supported by the substructure. The overall size of the assembly is 2.5 m x 1 m x 1 m.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

runningman,

I performed a Google search and there are some good links to check out:

The basic principle is similar to springs in series, in that the stiffest component will dominate the variation in the joined structure. It is obviously best studied with FEM.

There are also some technical papers I remember on the topic. I will be back in the office on Thursday and can look them up for you.
Best regards,

Matthew Ian Loew

Please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips Fora

Hi Runningman,

I am a new member in this forum. I am looking also information about final assembly variation.
If you got some informations, could you tell me as well.

Regards,
Yupiter

My dissertation is for this. And I also know that in University of Michigan. Prof. Hu and Prof. Shi are studying this field. , _ {`--.
{ \/`o;====- {:}'-.}>,
.----'-/`-/ {.--' )) __
`'-..-|,/ __ // /_/
/\/\ \_\_((_/___
`--` )) \_

What about a simple Monte Carlo simulation? If tolerances and process variations are known then Monte Carlo would provide a good means of predicting tolerance stack.

Hi Runningman and Yupiter,

There are several companies and softwares available in the market to predict the effect of component tolerances on assembly process variation. Monte Carlo simulation methods are utilized to predict the overall variation.

If you need further information feel free to send me an email..I might be able to answer your questions. I've worked on several projects of this nature utilizing Monte Carlo and non-monte carlo methods.

Hi Variation ....

Since I am new in this field, I would like to know more about this. I am looking for any information, how to predict the effect of component tolerances on assembly process variation. Could you please send me any reference about this problem (with or without monte carlo method)?

Thank you very much !

Yupiter
(yhpm@hotmail.com)

Although it seems that many posters in this thread are not active members, I did come across this technical reference:

An Introduction to Tolerance Analysis of Flexible Assemblies
K. G. Merkley, K. W. Chase, E. Perry
Brigham Young University
Provo, UT

Also, as pointed out by bobosui ( Professor S. Jack Hu has authored many publications. A list of these publications can be found at Nearly all of the publications that I indicated I would post (almost a year ago :-( ) are authored by Dr. Hu, so I am making good on my commitment (a little late) by posting this link now.

Best regards,

Matthew Ian Loew
"Luck is the residue of design."
Branch Rickey

Please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips Fora.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back