Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Assemly broken after mirror

Status
Not open for further replies.

NoDimension

Mechanical
Jul 13, 2010
SI
Hello!

My coworker has a problem with SW2010. In an assembly that isn't very big - less than 50 components, of which there are NO sub-assemblies and there is little features on them, also no fasteners. It's a steel construction, and when he mirrors the right part of construction (a total of 20 or so parts), the assembly becomes VERY VERY slow. But not in all cases - view scrolling and rotating is normally smooth and all, but the problem becomes when you click on an unmated part, and try to drag it. It freezes and then takes between 5 and 10 seconds to move it. The same goes for mating.

The problem is NOT computer related - I tried copying the parts and mirroring it myself, with a completely different computer, and it was identical.

Did anyone have any similar problems and know of a possible reason why mirror feature causes this? Using mirror can save a lot of time...if stuff like this doesn't happen!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Are the mirrored parts, part of a weldment?
Are they saved externally or as virtual components within the assy?
Are the seed parts referencing other parts or layout sketches? (Top down design)

Does this happen with other assy's?
Can you post an example?

CorBlimeyLimey said:
Are the mirrored parts, part of a weldment?

No.

Are they saved externally or as virtual components within the assy?

Externally.

Are the seed parts referencing other parts or layout sketches? (Top down design)

Not sure what do you mean by this. It's the most basic mirror feature: half of the construction is mated together (no weldments, all parts are saved externally, as I said above) and is then mirrored. Nothing else. And then another part is inserted (no matter which part, the same happens with every one of them), and when you click on it and drag it (even if it's only 5mm) to somewhere, it freezes for 5-10 seconds, and then it appears where it's supposed to. The same happens when you try to mate it to somewhere or when you delete it.

One thing I remembered now: the assembly includes notes that point to some joints. And these notes are mirrored, too. But this isn't the problem because deleting them doesn't help.

Does this happen with other assy's?
Can you post an example?

Nope, it's the first time I saw this. Maybe I haven't even used Mirror feature before on more than, I don't know, 10 parts. But it's very sudden.

BUT: it now only freezes the first time a new part is inserted. Then it moves fine. The problem is I did absolutely nothing to alter the assembly. The only different thing is that I'm not at work. Weird...

Mr dimension I had the same problem a while back. If i remember correctly, you have to break references to the part that is the original part. Something about the references are also mirrored and the computor gaggs on the references that are mirrored.

This sounds like a sense explanation.

But I have a problem doing this. Is this option only available when you create opposite hand versions and save them as new parts and not as derived configurations? I would really hate it if the only option would be to create more parts, unless I would somehow want to. Configs are usually much better choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back