Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Assign Acceleration to Node

Status
Not open for further replies.

alannakate

Structural
May 18, 2011
CA
Hi, I would like to assign a sine function acceleration to a specific node in my structure instead of the ground acceleration that is the default for time history analysis. How can I do this?

Thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

This is easily accomplished in SAP2000 or ETABS if you can analyze the acceleration joint load as a sinusoidal time history force or imposed displacement (must have a support/restraint in order to use joint imposed displacement). Define sine/cosine function(s) in SAP2000. If you're modeling unbalanced equipment loads, for example, you will probably need to define both sine and cosine TH functions based on machine speed. Select the joint where you want to assign max sinusoidal load or imposed displacement using Assign>Joint loads, and assign that max load as a static load under a separate Load pattern. Then Define a time history load case (typically use modal type Time history) where you specify the load pattern which you used to assign max sinusoidal load, and associate it with the sinusoidal time history function that you've defined. For equipment vibration, you would include both the Sine function and Cosine function in the same time history case. Time steps X output need to match the total time of your TH functions based number of cycles and period

alannakate, I'm curious.. how did you solve the issue?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back