Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Assistance if you please

Status
Not open for further replies.

rasmumm

Mechanical
Apr 11, 2002
US
I just took a job in a nuclear power plant as a systems engineer. I will be focusing on vibrational analysis of turbines. I am fresh out of school so I have only a little internship experience. Does anyone have any suggestions for some books or reference material that I should look at so I can be better prepared?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Below is my page of personal-favorite links. Scroll down to the third category (VIB). For turbines I think the most state-of-the art info available is the stuff under Bently Nevada's Orbit's archives. Maybe some of the other pages can give you more basic stuff. Also you absolutely have to utilize the vib forum at reliability-magazine.com.... it is simply the best around.

Here again is my links page:

Do you mind if I ask... what plant?

Here are a few links to highly recommended vibration analysis books:

Machinery Malfunction Diagnosis and Correction

Machinery Failure Analysis and Troubleshooting

Vibration Spectrum Analysis: A Practical Approach

Machinery Vibration: Measurement and Analsysis

Simplified Handbook of Vibration Analysis

Here are a number of application notes on vibration measurement and Turbine Supervisory Instrumentation

Hope these help,
DG

The vibration topics are pretty much covered in the above posts. Most power generation equipment run on fluid film (journal) bearings so you should add oil analysis and other info on the special characteristics of journal bearings.

One other thing to look at is the alignment and setup of turbines and other equipment to allow for thermal growth, i.e. hot alignment etc. C. Hugh (

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back