Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Associativity in Structure Design

Status
Not open for further replies.

RobertoMolinos

Computer
Jan 3, 2007
ES
Hi everybody
I am using a wireframe CatPart to lay out some profiles in Structure Desing Workbench, so my product structure should be as follows:

ProductXX
Part(Wireframe)
Shape01
Shape02

The problem is that it seems not to keep asociativity between the wireframe (i.e a line) and the shapes using that wireframe as support, if I move the wireframe part, the shapes don´t follow it, however, if I modify the wireframe itself, the associativity is kept. Do I have to constraint every shape part to the wireframe part manually? Is there a way to do this automatically or just to avoid doing this and solve my problem?

Thank you very much.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It's hard to tell from you description exactly what you've done, but it sounds like you have multiple parts in one product and that you've linked the geometry in different parts.

If you built built Shape01 off of Part(Wireframe) and simply clicked on the geometry you wanted to build off of than CATIA would simply create a non associative copy in Part(Wireframe).

You should be able to tell by looking in the part tree of Shape01. If you can see copies of the geometry you're building off of with a red squiggle, these are non-associative copies.

Another way you can tell is by right clicking on the linked geometry in the tree and looking at the parents and children.

I'm not positive that's what you've done, so I hesitate to write more to this post. If this is what you've done and I was right about what happened, reply and I'm happy to explain a few different ways to make your geometry associative.

I'm the product manager for STR applications . There is no problem of associativity in your scenario . This is simply an issue of methodology . Structure Design doesn't work in Relative mode , only in Absolute Mode , Meaning that each member you create is perfectly associative to the wireframe you have selected , but not to the position of the PArt that contains the Wireframe . There is big difference between the geometry postion inside the CATPART , and the relative position of the CATPART in its assembly .

So in short , your scenario cannot work , this is designed that way. But your membrs are still very associative to the wireframer ( change the length of the line or curve and you will see the update)
AMD-

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back