ASTM A-105 Acceptable Editions for ASME 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

sugisan

Mechanical
Feb 28, 2011
US
Hi all,

I have a questions for ASME Section VIII, Div. 1 materials.
We received a MTR which indicates a flange is made to ASTM A105-14.
Per ASME Section II, acceptable editions for ASTM A105 is 87a through 05.
ASME Section II, Appendix II-200 (c) states that ASTM specs with year dates later than specified in ASME is prohibited, unless a Code Case allows the use.

I looked through the Code Cases, but couldn’t find anything allowing the use of A105-14.
Is anyone aware of any 'catch all' Code Case that would allow the use of this flange on pressure vessels? Or if I'm missing anything, please let me know.

Thank you

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The A 105 should be supplied as SA 105 for Section VIII, Div 1 unless the flange is purchased as preformed pressure part per ASME B16.5.

We are working to ASME Section VIII, Div. 1 2015 Edition. I am also looking at ASME Section II Part A 2015.

SA-105 in Section II, Part A states "(Identical with ASTM Specification A 105/A 105M-05)".
Mandatory Appendix II Table II-200-1 shows acceptable Editions are 87a through 05 for A105.

Sometimes, our vendors can only supply flanges that only have ASTM identification. When these flanges are made to the latest ASTM code, we can no longer use them because it's not adopted by ASME.

My point was that a flange could be supplied under ASME B16.5 using the latest Edition of ASTM and therefore would be acceptable for use.

usually reads. "Other" acceptable ASTM editios ...87 thru 05 means later editions are OK. Then check if the material meets the ASME B16 specification. Markings should include the SA B16. And I'm not sure you can invoke the UG10 to accept it is f the SA B16 marking is missing.

General Blr. CA,USA

metengr said:
The A 105 should be supplied as SA 105 for Section VIII, Div 1 unless the flange is purchased as preformed pressure part per ASME B16.5.

metengr - I'm curious as to your basis for the "unless" phrase in your statement above. Would it be UG-11(c)(3)(b)?

Refer to mandatory appendix II , II-300 of ASME sec II , which states that if manufacturer provides compliance that all ASME soecifications have been met to the satisfaction of the authorised inspector at your end, then the same material can be used.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back