Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

ASTM A234 WPB instead of A106 Gr.B SMLS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JBCZL

Mechanical
Jan 25, 2005
ES
Dear all,

I have material certificates of the following accesories:

2 x 1 1/2 ECC. SWAGE NIPPLE BEXPE Sch.80
1 1/2 x 1 ECC. SWAGE NIPPLE PBE Sch.80
1 1/2 x 1 CONC. SWAGE PBE Sch.80
1 x 3/4 CONC. SWAGE NIPPLE PBE Sch.80 X 160

They have deliverey us in ASTM A-234 WPB instead A-105 Gr.B (SMLS) (required by the owner)

Could I accept this change of material?

The two qualities are good for high temperature, chemical composition is better in A-234 and mechanical propieties too

Could I?

Many thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Unless the owner agrees. The vendor that supplied the fittings did so because it was probably not specified to be ASTM A 106 (seamless). Were the fittings ordered to ASME A 16.9 or some other ? If so, both materials specifications are acceptable - ASTM A 106 (seamless) and ASTM A 234.

If you are using Pipe of the following standards:
ASTM A-53, Gr. B
ASTM A106, Gr. B,
There are others but above is most common.

then,

ASTM A-234, Gr. WPB is the normal wrought fitting specification for Reducers, BW Elbows, Welding Tee's etc.

ASTM A-105 is the normal forged fitting specicfication for flanges, Socket-welded and threaded tee's, couplings, etc.

In spite of problems with the owners specification, it looks like you got the the correct materail.

NozzleTwister
Houston, Texas

a-234 is a manufacturing specification that allows the use of several different raw materials. the fittings are allowed to be from a-106-b, or forged a-105, or made from plate (doubtful in these sizes) If you are relying on certificate of compliance or the marking on the fitting itself, you will not know if it is seamless or not. In any event, swages should be made to the a-234-wpb specification and you have the correct material. however you may need to verify that the fittings are seamles, which in these sizes they most likely are

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back