Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

ASTM A252 Gr 3 with 50 KSI min yield

Status
Not open for further replies.

APIpipeWholesaler

Materials
Jul 26, 2012
US
We are supplying pipe on a fast track job that requires material from stock.

Customer has requested ASTM A252 Gr 3 with 50 KSI min yield or better.

After placing the order they are requesting that all MTR's state "M" or modified due to the 50 KSI YS.

No where in the spec is there any reference to a "Modified" inclusion reported on an MTR.

I want to just be able to tell them stock pipe will NOT carry a Modified remark and it will be up to

our and their QC team to verify each and every piece.

Has anyone ever heard of, outside of a mill order, A252 pipe carrying OR requiring a modified statement?

Thanx in advance

Vass Pipe Pipe Salesperson and Mgr.

Vass Pipe API Line Pipe Industry Leader

People do what you inspect, not expect!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Here is what I told the customer and they have agreed:

In reference to their request for A252/A252M Grade 3 (Mod) 50 KSI Min YS.

ASTM A252 does not carry such a designation. It only carries designations: A252 Grade 1, 2 or 3.

The mills will sometimes designate “M” when one or two elements are “Outside” of the ASTM parameters. They will designate “M” taking exceptions to

and notating the parameters outside of the specification .

A252 Gr 3 calls out a 45KSI min ys and as such is not technically a modification of the specification. It is just an understood agreement between supplier & customer.

I am attaching ASTM A252 for your perusal. I will be happy to speak directly with an engineer or Qc if needed.

Thank you

Vass Pipe API Line Pipe Industry Leader

People do what you inspect, not expect!

In the ASTM world the only 'modifications' allowed are when your customer asks you to exceed one of the minimum requirements.
If you don't meet the minimum requirements then if cannot be certified, period.
Some spec systems have a way of noting modifications or exceptions, but not ASTM.
Customer supplemental requirements can always tighten a spec, just never relax it.
I will add that we often listed a customer spec (or an inhouse spec) after the ASTM in the documentation so that people could tell why it was different.
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, consulting work welcomed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back