Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ASTM A276 316 vs ASTM A182 316

Status
Not open for further replies.

voelfo

Mechanical
Jul 21, 2014
US
I have noticed that the bill of material for many API 603 valve manufactures specifies a ASTM A182 316 stem material. However in API 600 trim designations, the stainless trim stem material recommended is ASTM A276 316. I am curious why the deviation for API 603 valves? Is there some corrosion resistance, temperature or performance benefit?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Understood, but reviewing the specification the A276 material seems to have a higher tensile and yield strength requirements which would make me think it would be a superior material for a stem. Am I missing something?

I am mistaken. I was looking at the coldworked condition. The mechanical of the annealed condition are identical. I still question why the deviation from the recommended rolled bar in API 600. Is the forged material superior in some way? More machinable, less likelihood of defects, etc.?

On larger gate valves forged stems are common because you can forge the T-head shape and save some money on materials not having to turn down a huge diameter.

API 600 says a "Typical material" is A276 Type 316 not "recommended material". So using A182 F316 is acceptable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back