Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

ASTM/AWWA Type pipe material used in AWWA water tank

Status
Not open for further replies.

simplemath2

Apr 7, 2009
US
Pretty good size of pipe inside AWWA water tank serve to diffuse and minimize mixing.

Size is 30" to 40". tank is 40ft and atm pressure. So max pressure pipe will see is hydraulic head by assuming no water hammer load.

Water will diffuse at close to working level so pipe will be riser close to shell and be hung from roof rafter using pipe hanger.

Pipe will see full self wight with fluid weight when filing once everyday.

I am not sure what ASTM/AWWA pipe material can be used and will offer the most economical value to do the job.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I would expect welded steel pipe using the same lining as the tank or mortar lining.

A riser close to the shell is best supported off the shell rather than from the roof.

AWWA says that steel pipe for inlet, outlet, overflow, etc piping should be ASTM A53 type E or S, Grade B or ASTM A106 or API 5l. Right there in D100 !!

Thanks JStephen and IFRs.
JStephen: Coating is taken care by 3rd party. I do not know much about it. I would specify the same if I do it.
IFRs: You are right on AWWA quotation regarding pipe use. However, D-100 05 2.1.1 does not rule out using other pipe
material.
"Steel pipe shall conform to ASTM A53, type E or S, grade B; ASTM A106; or API 5L or equal. Unless otherwise specified, joints may be screwed, flanged, or welded. Other pipe materials may be specified, provided they conform to recognized national or industry standards."
AWWA C200 is top of my option list. I will study how it can cross-reference to API 5L.
Thanks both for your valuable input.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back