Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ASTM D6527

Status
Not open for further replies.

sisaacs

Structural
Mar 13, 2022
CA
I'm helping to compile a list of codes and standards for a project, and the list for the old project that we're using as a go-by includes ASTM D6527 ("Standard Test Method for Determining Unsaturated and Saturated Hydraulic Conductivity in Porous Media by Steady-State Centrifugation"). It seems that standard was withdrawn by the ASTM in 2017, but I can't find any information on which standard replaced it. I assume requirements for this sort of testing were added into some other ASTM spec, but which one?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Does this mean that no one determines hydraulic conductivity in porous media by steady-state centrifugation anymore? If so, why? If not, what standard do they use to determine how it should be done?

I have no clue, since this is not my area of practice. I just happened to be searching for a different ASTM standard when I saw your post and I did a brief detour to see if I could answer your question. Regardless, just because a standard has been withdrawn doesn't mean it can't still be used. However, I would want to know why it was withdrawn before doing so.

============
"Is it the only lesson of history that mankind is unteachable?"
--Winston S. Churchill

I appreciate the detour! It's way outside my area of practice, so hopefully someone with more direct knowledge will chime in at some point.

You may want to contact a geotechnical engineer or two to see if he or she knows about this.

============
"Is it the only lesson of history that mankind is unteachable?"
--Winston S. Churchill

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back