Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ASTM designation for Super Duplex bolting?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DDefoe

Mechanical
Jul 3, 2007
US
Hi all

Is there an ASTM designation that deals with Super Duplex bolting?

For a particular service, our pipe spec calls for super duplex bolting on flanged connections, and refers correctly to UNS 32760; however it then refers to A790 which is seamless and welded pipe (obviously not correct as we are talking about bolts!)

I've noticed some websites associate UNS 32760 with A453, is this what we should be referring to?

I've attached the bolting information for this particular service.

Thanks in advance,
Dumbfounded Grad.

PS. "note 7" referred to in the attachment is: "use machine bolts on lugged valves" - irrelevant in this case.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I have found some assistance, and it appears super duplex bolting (Austenitic - Ferritic) UNS 32760 (Zeron 100) easily meets the tensile requirements for ASTM A193-B7 or ASTM A320. Thanks.

DDefoe,

Just to be clear, the answer to your first question is no, grade UNS S32760 does not appear in any ASTM fastener standards (ASTM A 320, A 193, A 453, etc.).

The folks at TMR in Pittsburgh are working on some ASTM spec fro fasteners in duplex alloys. Call Ralph Davidson and ask him for some guidance.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
Plymouth Tube

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back