Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ASTM Equivalent to DIN 1691 GG25...

Status
Not open for further replies.

cozdemir

Mechanical
Nov 14, 2002
US
Could someone please find out the ASTM equivalent to DIN 1691 GG25 AND let me know how you found it. Thanks.

C. Ozdemir

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

DIN 1691 has been superceded by DIN EN 1561. Grade GG 25 is now called. EN-JL 1040 or EN-GJL-250. The equivalent ASTM standard and grade is A 48 Grade 40B. I found this by starting with page 233 of the 18th edition of Stahlschl[ignore]ü[/ignore]ssel to find the old DIN 1691 grade and the appropriate ASTM equivalent. I then went to the Global Engineering Documents website to confirm the status of DIN 1691. You can obtain Stahlschl[ignore]ü[/ignore]ssel from ASM International using the following link:

You can access Global by using the following link:

I have access to the global ihs website. That's the first place I looked and didn't find anything. How did you look up the status of the DIN 1691? I can download the A 48 Spec now, thanks to you.

Thanks again.

C. Ozdemir

cozdemir,

I typed DIN 1691 into the Search box at Global. The following links shows that the standard has been superceded by DIN EN 1561:

ugwuegbuchima,

ASTM A 536 is a standard for ductile iron, which is different from grey iron. Also, E standards from ASTM are for testing and evaluation techniques, not for specifying products by material composition, mechanical properties, etc. In this case, it is a standard for compression testing, which is a test that is performed on cast irons (ductile iron, grey iron, etc.).

Well, now that I know the equivalent, where can I locate the allowable stress for the A 48 material? I have looked at the ASME Sect III Appendices (1971 - Applicable code) and found nothing for this material. Any suggestions? Have looked in later codes (briefly) and found nothing yet. thanks for all the replies.

ozdemir

You may want to post this in a different forum, like Mechanical Engineering Other or the Boiler and Pressure Vessel Forum if you need this type of information.

TVP

Is there any way that you can fax/email a copy of the pages from Stahlschlussel? I need to reference these in my calculation and I don't have the book. Let me know. My email is ozdemir at core dot com. Thanks.

ozdemir

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back