Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ASTM material cross reference

Status
Not open for further replies.

gibsi1

Mechanical
Dec 10, 2003
US
Is there any document(s) that lists each ASTM material number and defines the associated metallurgical content, intended use, manufacturing methods, etc? I've found a few nice websites here and there, but figured ASTM would likely have a document.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I am paid up with an electronic database through our company. I'm just not sure what the document(s) is titled/numbered. I need that to find it through the database. Searching by description is too vague and turns up hundreds of results.

I've reviewed ASTM 00.01 Book of Standards, but it doesn't accomplish what I need. Some non-technical folks are assembling financial documentation that is based on original installation costs for various equipment, piping, etc. A lot of the original construction pieces lack sufficient documentation pertaining to purchase orders and the like. Therefore, the puchasing folks are forced to use formulas based on metallurgy and dimensions to calculate an estimate cost. That cost is then scaled to reflect prices relative to the date of installation.

A basic listing similar to something like the following is what I'm looking for:

I just thought there might be something similar available directly from ASTM that might be a little cleaner.

I know that some of the committies keep such lists for working helps, but none are actually published.

It may help to work backwards. If you are looking at steel pipe you can find all specs that refer to the general requirements (A450). They are listed in the GR spec. Specific alloys are only listed in product specs.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
Rust never sleeps
Neither should your protection

There is a UNS Numbering System cross-reference guide, I believe available through ASM.

It's base listing is the UNS system, but there are then cross reference lists to ASTM, ANSI, etc.

Also, you should recall the basics behind ASTM numbers and UNS.

ASTM numbers are based primarily on mechanical property, whereas UNS is based on chemical composition. Hence, there isn't a straight one-for-one correlation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back