Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Asym L-L, Sym L-L, L-G Fault Data (?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

julesm

Electrical
Feb 17, 2007
US
Greetings,
I have received available fault current data from the utility in the form of L-L instead of Three phase. I have not seen this before from my local utility. I am wondering if this is a mis-speak because I was given this data third hand.
I have not been successful reaching the utilty planner to clarify so I was wondering if there are any thoughts out there....
Given the L-L sym and asym and the L-G fault current, is it possible to calculate the three phase?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If you assume Z1=Z2, then the two values should be enough to calculate the unknown Z1 and Z0 values. From Z1, you can calculate the 3Ø fault. Actually, if Z1=Z2, then I[sub]3Ø[/sub] = 2·I[sub]L-L[/sub]/sqrt(3).

You still need clarification. Most likely, you have a 3Ø fault value, not a L-L value. If it is L-L, is it L-L or double Line-to-Ground? Without knowing what you have, it's no use calculating anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back