Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

At the age 41 can you fulfil your dream to become an engineer? 17

Status
Not open for further replies.

maturestudent14

Electrical
Apr 3, 2014
GB

When I was young during school holidays I was helping my father in his engineering business where I started developing interest in engineering.

Unfortunately, after my school graduation I went to live with my uncle in another country. I couldn’t have an opportunity to go to college to fulfil my passion to study engineering due to fees were very expensive.

Now, after working in catering industry for more than 20 years, I have started to get bored and I don’t have self motivation in that field anymore. I’m thinking again about go back to college and study engineering.
But what is bothering me now, I think age is not on my side, I might be too old for that. I know other professions such as doctor, lawyer, teacher, architect, etc you can still be employed at mid forty from college and work past your retirement age.
-But, to study engineering in that age is too late? Bear in mind, by the time I will obtain all necessary qualifications I will be 44-45 years?
-If the top question is YES which engineering? I’m intended to study Chemical, Mechanical or Electrical engineering. You can mention other branches of engineering as well.

I'm aware of the equality legislation but that it doesn’t stop employers not to hire you because of your age.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It's never too late to learn something new. That part is up to you. As far as the specific discipline, choose one that interests you.

There are still a lot of companies in the USA who find excuses to dump engineers at age 50 or so. They are very careful to never leave an actionable trail, but they do it.

There are other companies, typically smaller, who benefit from the involuntary mobility of experienced engineers, and are happy to have them.

You might think, "Well, who is going to hire an old but inexperienced engineer?".

You are experienced, differently. If you've been paying attention at all, you've been exposed to a lot of kitchen and foodservice and material handling equipment that could be engineered better, and you're about to learn how to do just that.

So, start.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

If you do decide to return to school for engineering I highly recommend that you find one that offers a structured intern/co-op program. This not only will allow you to gain engineering experience but also help pay for your schooling and give a practical break to the theoretical rigours of school. I am not sure if this would be offered in your area but the experience would be invaluable.

I've seen it happen. One guy I worked with sold his dairy farm at 40, went to school, and found work at my employer. He was a great asset.

If I would have to do my studies all over again I would change this : Ignore people and listen more to myself.

So the question you start your thread with is part of the same thing; the way we set our own limits are in the formulation of the question itself. And why we limit ourselves by ourselves (in your case it sounds of course legitimate) is still hard to understand ; maybe because we are afraid of our own potential.

It is when you do what you love that you unlock tremendous resources.

When I felt under pressure to study something I did it poorly or maybe good but the efforts seemed huge to me.

On the contrary when I wanted to design a system so I start with the end in mind and I knew that to get there I needed this tool and that material or to complete a certain course, I made it according to my own agenda - not the only the performance was great but the efforts I had to put in seemed (dangerously) unnoticeable.

Good luck.

The only potentially serious downsides are that you'll be getting the salary of a 21-old when you graduate, which might be different from your current compensation, and that you'll typically only have about 20 yrs in your new career. I don't see that your age is necessarily a hindrance; in many respects, it's an advantage, you're more mature, stable, etc., and you understand what it takes to make money, and, they don't have to pay you the wages of a 40-something. Internship is highly desirable, since that will get you past part of the learning curve that some employers might be concerned about. The more, and varied, experience you can get before graduation, the better.

There's a slight joke about what's common between bank robbers and entrepreneurs? They all think they can get away with it. If you are determined and hungry, you will succeed. The fact that you are successful enough to be bored says that you have the wherewithal to succeed in your new career, so welcome to the world of engineering!

TTFN
faq731-376
7ofakss

Need help writing a question or understanding a reply? forum1529

-But, to study engineering in that age is too late? Bear in mind, by the time I will obtain all necessary qualifications I will be 44-45 years?
How old will you be in 4 or 5 years if you don't study engineering?

If this is your dream, do it! It's a good living, challenging and keeps you sharp. It's mostly inside work.
We have a guy in our office who was in the navy, did his twenty years and went to engineering school. He used his practical and life knowledge to move up. Now he's in his 50's and is a very valuable employee.

I think that you need to discover what makes you want to get out of bed and go to work, first. If you hate, or suck at, programming, it won't matter much who they will hire. While there might be an inkling of validity about youth and programming, that's simply just because there's been an overwhelming push to train software engineers in the last 10 years. But, since there are still SO MANY companies looking for software engineers that you could probably relatively easily find a job in one of the less glam companies.

Just think about the fact that even a middling coffee maker now requires someone to write code for its controller. This might not attract a fresh BSCS grad, but it could serve as a stepping stone for you, assuming you go that route.

TTFN
faq731-376
7ofakss

IRstuff,
I don't plan to study software engineering. That was an example to show that some fields can be difficult than others in relation with age. Another example is dentist graduate at 50s. can still secure a job.

I'm planning to study in either Chemical,Mechanical or Electrical engineering. I want to know which one will suite better with that age?

Who says you have to retire at 65? As long as your health holds up stick with it. I'm 86 and the main reason I slowed down was that I moved away from the steady clients. Now I still do consulting when it shows up and mentor a testing firm.

Again, it doesn't matter, and again, you need to narrow it down. What do you want to do? You will do much better in a field that you are truly interested in.

TTFN
faq731-376
7ofakss

"I want to know which one will suite better with that age?"

I'm an old Chemical Engineer, and I've got friends who are old Mechanical and Electrical Engineers. I don't think that matters.

What is important is what is interesting to you. For me, chemistry came naturally and it energized me. Plus, I liked to take stuff apart to see how it works and put it back together. I knew I wanted to be an engineer first in Junior High School. I started out as a Mechanical. I enjoyed Chemistry so much in High School and the first year of college that I switched to Chemical. You can tell your advisor you are undecided, and ya'll can craft your first year so you can go either way. Everyone's first year is nearly identical anyway. You don't have to decide now. You got time.

Good luck,
Latexman

Technically, the glass is always full - 1/2 air and 1/2 water.

Latexman, depending on where the OP would be attending university the first year may not be as common and transferring may be more difficult.

I believe the OP may be from Britain in which case they'd be on their selected specialization from first year and transferring can be more difficult - at least when & where I attended university in the UK.

Posting guidelines faq731-376 (probably not aimed specifically at you)
What is Engineering anyway: faq1088-1484

I knew I was going to be an EE in 7th grade, and I was, for about 8 yrs after college. Nevertheless, I'm doing what I love to do, and that makes it completely worthwhile.

TTFN
faq731-376
7ofakss

IRstuff,

Almost same for me, when I was 10 years old I have built a kind of "robot" which could move one arm up and down and turn on lights by pressing an electrical switch - there was a big cable - it was not wireless :) ...Anyway I knew I would go for mechanical engineering during secondary school, means not an Electrical or Chemical but exactly that and I knew a little bit later with great deal of precision which kind of mechanical products I wanted to work on...It was a kind of obsession. It was not linear path, I lost the focus and bifurcated at many occasions so today I cannot explain how I (more or less) made it.

KENAT,

I see what you mean. Surely, the OP is not the first student to be undecided on their career major going into university, and some thought, planning, and an advisor's experience may have a favorable outcome on the student or the course choices if the OP is forthcoming with their dilemma.

Good luck,
Latexman

Technically, the glass is always full - 1/2 air and 1/2 water.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back