Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

At what size do emergency / service generators require pre-lube pumps

Status
Not open for further replies.

davster01

Industrial
Nov 12, 2006
CA
Hi,

I would like to know what is the threshold value at which the service and emergency generators typically have a pre-lube pumps.

By the way, I am typically involved with land-based units under 60 kW. We do not have such pre-lube pumps.

Thank you

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Typically pre-lube is not a significant issue compared to post-lube due to the DC battery requirements. The requirements varies by manufacturer. Some 5000 kW GE/Nuovo Pignone turbines may require extensive post-lube (eight-hours) where some 25000 kW GE turbines may not. I don't recall this being a big issue with Solar.

The smallest gen sets I have dealt with were about 1600 kW (900 or 1800 RPM), and at that level the generator bearing required pre-lube, but not the engine.

I think the threshold for prelube has to do with the difficulty/expense/logistics of replacing the bearings in the prime mover.

Most of the yacht generators with which I have dealt, Diesels between 40 and 250 kWE, don't have prelube pumps.

All of the oil rig generators with which I have dealt, mostly natural gas engines 40kWE and above, do have prelube pumps, and oil heaters, which are run on a regular basis to keep the crank and oil warm.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

From the smallest to the largest will all benifit from prelube, it for sure will not hurt a thing, especially if there are long time periods that the engine isn't run.

As before it depends very much on the manufacturer. I have sailed with 500kW Detroits without prelube and 500kW Yanmars with.

I don't think I have seen anything above 500kW without

Post lube on the turbos is often an issue. Standard practice on the smaller sets is a cool-down period. A normal stop will shed the load and then let the engine run at no load for a number of minutes to allow the turbo time to spool down before stopping the engine.
I have worked on a lot of shore based sets, both standby and prime power. Size range up to about 1.2 megaWatts. I haven't seen a pre-lube system. I see some crank-case heaters and most turbos have a cool-down stopping sequence.

Bill
--------------------
"Why not the best?"
Jimmy Carter

prelube pump = bearing lifetime
the "damage" done on each start depends upon time required to pressure the lube manifold (viscosity,lenght suction pipe,wear lube pump,...)

small emergency generator engine fitted with pre-lube pump is irrelevant, though it incurs friction on bearing surface but insignificant issue. The engine speeds up to rated speed less than 5 seconds, lube pressure builds up..with less than 45 seconds upon start up it supplies power to the system, in compliance of SOLAS requirements.

"..the more, the merrier" Genghis Khan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back