Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

ATEX and the Job Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.

machinist360

Mechanical
Aug 24, 2008
US
I am the owner of a machine shop that has recently been asked to quote the machining of a part that is used on an ATEX certified device. Do I need any certifications to do this machine work? Is there an independent laboratory I can outsource an inspection to if it is needed? Or is it on the Manufacturer of the device to make certain the manufacturing of this component meets design criteria?

Thanks in advance!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi Machinist360,

This are good question that to answer I would need some clarification:

What is this part? Do you know what equipment group this part will be used into? Is this part of a mechanical or electrical equipment?

Has your client express additional requirement?

Vincent

If your job is just the machining your work will not be covered by ATEX. But your client who uses this part for his device can specify some features and can require tests which base upon ATEX. But there is no automatism that you must fulfill certain requirements just because the final device is subjected to ATEX. It all depens upon your client.

And the part in question may have no relevance to the ATEX certification of the completed equipment. I work for a company that makes atex-certified diesel power units, people sell us pistons, valves, gears, etc and have no idea we're going to use them on atex-certified products. It is not their problem nor any of their business.

The part is a lid for a gas detector. The ATEX certified print for this component calls out for several features to be 100% inspected. That is where I have the question as to whether or not that inspection needs to be performed by someone certified. The customer is convinced that it does but cannot point to anything specifically that determines that. I have called several labs that do the certification and they have all told me they would do it but it would be highly unusual. Thanks for the responses!

Hi Machnisit360,

May I ask, is the lead threaded? and Is this a gas detector certified Ex d by your client?

The degree of quality control is depended on the gas detector ATEX category. The European standard for quality control is EN 13980:2002 (until 25/05/2014) and your client may have to comply with it. He may have to pass some of the requirement to you. To answer this I need to know more about the ATEX category or Ex marking.

Thanks

Vincent

Vincent

Vangle Consulting

Sounds like you have the story that you need to feed back to the customer (assuming you have a quote for the inspection).

I would guess they're thinking of the following from 94-9-EC ANNEX VI MODULE: CONFORMITY TO TYPE:

"For each piece of equipment manufactured, tests relating to the anti-explosive protection aspects of the product shall be carried out by the manufacturer or on his behalf. The tests shall be carried out under the responsibility of a notified body, chosen by the manufacturer.
On the responsibility of the notified body, the manufacturer shall affix the former's identification number during the manufacturing process."

I didn't think that the guy making the lid had to conform to the above, but rather the guy making the finished gas detector...but that's what I would guess your customer is reading from. There are a number of requirements w/r/t the manufacturing process amd quality system. I'm guessing that "100% inspection" is shown as a way to avoid alternative quality control requirements. It might help from a certification standpoint if the customer did incoming material inspections vs. you doing inspections at your facility, as I imagine this would allow you to avoid having notified body inspections of your facility and quality systems.

machinist360: You have just to fulfill your client's requirements. Your work is not subjected to ATEX but your client's deive is. The inspection of the machined part does not have to be done by any ATEX certified inspector (whatever that might be) unless your client wants that - and you agree. Just because you are machining a part for a device which is subjected to ATEX does not mean that your work is subjected to ATEX, too.

I agree with micalbrch: you need to make the part to the client's design and within the client's tolerances. What the client does with the parts is up to them: they have responsibility for making a certified product - you are simply making a component to a design and tolerances which they require.

Any QA requirements which your client imposes should only be related to the part you are making, which can be measured in terms of material composition, material properties, surface finish, and of course dimensionally. Whether if is suitable as a part of an ATEX-certified product depends entirely on how it interacts with the other components, something which sounds to be outside of your control.

Well at long last it looks like the customer is agreeing with all of you. Apparently the vendor who is currently supplying the part (and can't make delivery dates) has been a little creative with their inspection report and made it look like they were some sort of ATEX approved inspection facility. Once my customer debunked that myth things got a little clearer and I hope to be sending in some first articles for approval in the near future. Thanks for all of the help everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back