Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

ATEX Certification

Status
Not open for further replies.

ab123456

Chemical
Mar 18, 2003
ES
Now that the new ATEX regulations are in force here in europe i was wondering whether anybody has any experience about buying equipment from the US.

We are wanting to buy a skid mounted system containing a number of items of rotating equipment for use in a hazardous area, previously we would specify flameproof motors and there would be no problem. However with atex now covering mechanical equipment as well the pump itself must be atex certified.

Does anybody know if atex certified equipment is readily availabile in the US and if not does this mean we cant use it over here or is there an alternative means of proving the equipment suitability.

Our potential package supplier is unaware of atex and we are therefore thinking of having to source certain items over here to his specifications. But this would mean we would no longer recieve the fully tested and operational package we want.

Any assitance would be appreciated, i seem to have hit a bit of a brick wall with other enquiries.

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Don't you just love European Directives ?

If you resell units from non-complying countries then the responsabiltiy is yours as a reseller or authorised distributer but you can have the units tested in this country which as you know is added expense which you will never get back. If you are looking for a large pump package set try Weir Pumps in Scotland , they also have sites in the US.

But as ATEX stands if the current directives are meet ,Low Voltage Regs, Machinery Supply regs,EMC,PED then the ATEX directive should be easily met. Try the British Standards Institue for more help ,as they say "ask the expert"

ATEX equipment is generally not available from the US. You will be lucky to find many European vendors who can supply what you want.

Be sure not to overspecify. Traditionally everything is Zone 1( Cat 2 ) T4, if it doesn't really need to be then go for Zone 2 ( Cat 3) the certification is simpler and more will be available.

Thanks for everybody's assistance.

Failte,
I was coming to the same conclusion as yourself about the lack of ATEX equipment out of the US. I think now we are going to have to split the package and order certain items from europe and then bolt on to the US equipment when it arrives. Not our ideal scenario though.

kking,
Is it sufficient for us to do a risk assesment on the basis that if the equipment satisifies the more onerous directives as you mentioned then ATEX must also be satisfied? That seems a bit too easy to me considering that suppliers must test equipment to destruction before being awarded the ATEX certs.

I am in the process of ATEX certifying some mechanical plant via an approved Notified Body. It is expenive and time consuming. Don't be mislead about someone elses statement that if you already meet the other standards then ATEX will be easy. I isn't.
1st decide what Category ( Zone ) you need to comply with. If the equipment is to be Cat 1 ( Zone 0) then you must use a notified body. If it is to be Cat 2 ( Zone 1 ) then you can self certify but a high level of safety must be ensured. The equipment must still be safe with 1 fault. You must decide what all the possible fault modes are and ensure that your equipment either will not be a source of ignition, or that ignition will be contained with ANY ONE of those faults. ( Cat 1 must be safe with 2 faults )
If you can resonably use Cat 3 ( Zone 2) then the equipment need only be safe in normal operation.

Also you shold remember that mechanical plant may have 2 zones, internal and external.

I am in the process of ATEX certifying some mechanical plant via an approved Notified Body. It is expensive and time consuming. Don't be mislead about someone else's statement that if you already meet the other standards then ATEX will be easy. It isn't.
1st decide what Category ( Zone ) you need to comply with. If the equipment is to be Cat 1 ( Zone 0) then you must use a notified body. If it is to be Cat 2 ( Zone 1 ) then you can self certify but a high level of safety must be ensured. The equipment must still be safe with 1 fault. You must decide what all the possible fault modes are and ensure that your equipment either will not be a source of ignition, or that ignition will be contained with ANY ONE of those faults. ( Cat 1 must be safe with 2 faults )

If you can resonably use Cat 3 ( Zone 2) then the equipment need only be safe in normal operation. self certification is quite easy.

Also you shold remember that mechanical plant may have 2 zones, internal and external.

Remember that there are heavy fines and possible jail terms if you get it wrong!!!

I think we are speaking of ATEX 100a - you dont need to certify existing equipment - only stuff thats installed after 30.6.2003 8and even to this there are expections).

Bsest regards

Morten

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back