Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Atmospheric expansion tank

Status
Not open for further replies.

lurch17

Mechanical
Jul 19, 2010
US
Am a mechanical engineer specializing in large chilled and condenser water cooled AC systems in high rises. I have seen them, but for the life of me cannot find a manufacturer of an open atmospheric expansion tank or reservoir with float-valve for placement at the top of a large system. I have seen two, seemingly made by the same mfgr, but neither have any name or clue.
Anyone know of a source or mfgr?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

As Kiwi said, these are mostly not proprietary equipment components, but rather tanks ordered from steel tank manufacturers, specified according to some standard.

And that is the issue, as far as I know, in my area all standards related to open expansion tanks are obsolete, noone is using them any more. The trouble is that open loop system requirements impose safety requirements of the system, and that is always related to actual legislation.

Open tank systems (not to be mixed with pressure management systems that use open tanks) are very exposed to high corrosion risks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back