Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Atmospheric tank

Status
Not open for further replies.

ruble3

Mining
Jul 24, 2003
AU
I'm a little out of my element here and there is no-one on site to ask (i.e. no qualified person) -looking through info on API 650, API 2000 etc, what governs alterations to a tank, 9 metres high, 9 metres diamter that conatins a slurry ( non flammable. non toxic etc)? - there is a manhole for entering the tank near the bottom - it becomes a major pain to clean the tank out completely (there is still 2 or 3 feet of slurry in the bottom when drained)- the operators want a slot cut in the bottom near the base to aid cleanout- I've been telling them thay just can't cut a slot and weld a patch over it when done but I can't find the proper 'articles' that tell me that- just about everything covers oil, petroleum products etc and not just a water/slurry mix
PS I'm in Ontario if that makes any difference
same issue for a water stoarge tank(open to atmosphere) for fire protection -they want to add a nozzle for a pressure transmitter- same thing- they just want to empty the tank, add the nozzle & everything is fine and dandy! not in my mind

Thanks for any pointers in right direction

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Government regulations (in the US) generally require oil tanks and their maintenance to comply with API-650 and API-653. However, there is not usually a specific requirement that general industrial tanks comply with API-650/653- it is typically used because there is no other standard applicable either.

In other words, complying with API-653 for the tank modifications you mention would represent good engineering practice, but is not necessarily a requirement.

9m x 9m is not that large a tank, but you still wouldn't want to be in the vicinity if it ever split open.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back