Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Attach Surface Finish Symbol?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mechcad8

Mechanical
Jan 13, 2004
EU
I've been asked what I thought was a simple question until I had a go myself.

In 2D drawing format, I wish to attach a surface finish symbol to the outside dia of a shaft but show the symbol on the dimension line.

I can attach the symbol to the shaft edge but cannot constrain the symbol on the dimension line? Am I missing something fundamental?

Mechcad8

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Once you attached the symbol to the referenced edge you can move it outside its position. And the referenced line will be added automatically so it is appeared under dimension.

Please refer the attached picture.

Artem Taturevich
CSWP

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=bbf7fe79-c44e-4fcf-9aef-c0f479ddcecd&file=SurfFinSymb.jpg
Many thanks, I'm sorted now.

The referenced line did not appear for me automatically, I needed to select [Add leader and change the arrow head to no arrow]

I'm sure a default setting could probably change that if it became a regular requirement.

Regards

Mechcad8

Mechcad8

No, you don't need to have a leader. First attach it to the geometry. Then, drag it out along the dimension line. Don't click it close to the attachment point to drag it. If you click close to the attachment point, it will detach.

-handleman, CSWP (The new, easy test)

Do you really want to attach it to a dimension line?
Wouldn't an extension line be better?

"Good to know you got shoes to wear when you find the floor." - [small]Robert Hunter[/small]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back