Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Attenuator for Proximity Probes 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

AbuNader

Mechanical
May 20, 2004
US
I just bought an OROS multichannel analyzer. The model I bought (OR35) is limited to 10V inputs on its 8 channels.
But I have proximity probes that have outputs greater than that. Can anyone suggest an attenuation box (for 4 or more channels) so I can feed my prox probes in to my OROS system for analyses without overloading?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You could try a simple potentionmeter/resistor to drop the voltage by 50% and tell the OROS box that the scale factor of the prox probes is 100mV/mil

Or...

You could try inserting a capacitor (5-10 microfarad shoud do it, but check the cut off yourself) in each line to block the dc and let the ac signal through for analysis.

Have you spoken to OROS about this?

I am not sure about your set-up, but with my proximity probes, a DC voltage is first applied to the probes (excitation voltage?) on one set of terminals and the gap voltage (varying DC signal = AC signal if the gap is changing)is generated on the second set of terminals (output).

The base gap voltage is proportional to the "excitation voltage", and the excitation voltage can be in the range of 5 to 30 volts (on my equipment). If I get overloads, I reduce the excitation voltage until there are no overloads. and I also use the AC input setting on my analyzer which is a high pass filter because I am interested in the dynamic gap not the static gap.

Hatch – I think your terminology might be a little confusing.

Depending on the brand, the proximeter is usually a 3 terminal device – the terminals are labelled something like –Vt, COM and signal.

The proximiter needs to be powered up; usually with -24Volts (applied between –Vt and COM) to get a linear response range of up to about 120mils. You can vary the -24volts power supply from around -18 to -30 volts (I think that’s about the correct range) and get a larger or smaller linear range accordingly.

The vibration signal output (between Signal and COM) is a voltage proportional to the gap between the prox probe and the shaft surface. With everything at rest, the output from the proximity probe system is a dc ‘gap voltage’ – you can adjust this voltage by moving the probe towards or away from the shaft surface. If you have a prox probe system of 200mV/mil by adjusting probe to between -8 and -12 volts dc during setup you can be sure that it is sitting in the middle of its linear range (to accommodate motion towards and away from the probe tip).

When the shaft begins to turn, you get a varying dc voltage as the shaft moves towards and away from the probe tip. You can treat this as a dc voltage with an ac voltage superimposed on it, where the dc portion represents the average gap between the probe tip and shaft (good for shaft centreline plots) and the ac portion represents vibration. For a typical 200mV/mil system you would expect a dc gap voltage to be in the range -7 to -13 volts, and for a typical piece of rotating equipment, you wouldn’t want to see more than 10 mils pk-pk corresponding to 2 volts ac pk-pk.

The dc gap voltage is fixed by the position of the shaft within its journal (either at rest or on its oil film) and the ac voltage is fixed by the amount of vibration that is present.
By reducing –Vt you do not change anything other than the linear range of the system: you could keep reducing –Vt until your analyser appears to work, but by then you have lost the signal.

If fitted, then using the AC input effectively ‘blocks’ the dc component of the signal (that’s the capacitor working). If you have a dc component of -10 volts and an ac component of 2 volts pk to pk, then your input signal will vary from -9 to -11 volts. If you put this through a 50% potential divider, reducing the variation seen by the analyser input from -4.5 volts to -5.5 volts and then tell the analyser that you are looking at a 100mv/mil signal, you can use the analyser with a +/-10 volts input range.

AbuNader,

I have recently run across this same problem. Like you, I need a way to reduce the signal voltage for use with my 10V max input vibration recorder without reducing signal integrity and creating distortion and errors. Have you tried these JFW attenuators with success?

Here is an interesting idea:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back