Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Attribute order in blocks

Status
Not open for further replies.

IFRs

Petroleum
Nov 22, 2002
US
I always thought that the order that you picked attributes determined the order that they appear in the attribute editing dialog. However, it seems that it is the order that the attributes were created not the order (or reverse order) that they are picked. Can anyone confirm this? The R2004 manual on page 333 says it is the pick order, but my experience runs counter to that. Oh well, I guess that's what BATTMAN is for!!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi,

I confirm. The order in the attribute editing dialog (after picking the block) can be edited by „BATTMAN“
If You pick an attribute, it will be the first one, which can be edit. That’s different!!

regards Lothar

Win NT4.0(SP6),2000(SP3)
AC 2000i(SP2), ADT 3.0(SP3),
AC 2002, ADT 3.3,
AC 2004, ADT 2004

FYI As I understood it, AutoCAD reverses the order in which the Attributes are created as you write the block out. The old trick was to create them in the order you wanted, write the block out, insert it, explode it, and then write the block out again. This would put the attributes in the desired order. Now if you redefine the block and add more or delete some attributes, the order starts to get out of whack. Like you noted, battman is the best bet and a lot easier than most other methods.

"Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right "
.. Henry Ford

The manual is speaking of BLOCKs not WBLOCKing. If you're making a block in the current drawing, the attributes are prompted for in the order of selection. Write blocking or WBLOCK, is really a different function than making a BLOCK.

From the "AutoDESK Knowledge Base":

Issue:
Attribute prompts or attribute text appear in the wrong sequence after you insert a block.

Solution:
The program displays the attribute prompts in the reverse order from which they were originally created.

To define attributes so that their insertion is prompted in a specific order, individually pick the attributes in the reverse order of how you want the prompts to appear. Then select all objects with a window or crossing box to complete the block definition.

~~~~~~~~~~~

Apparently a change in R2004.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back