Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Attribute Tag and Values

Status
Not open for further replies.

FrancisL

Computer
Aug 29, 2001
GB
I have been using a program (DWG Miner from Skysof) that can read the attributes tags and values from DWG files.
In this case Piping and Instrument diagrams.
What I have found is that there seem to be additional attributes that are not visible on the diagrams, and some of which have negative X or Y locations.
Is it possible that for example copying one diagram to make another different one could leave behind old and dead Attributes?

Francis

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

ACAD attributes can also be invisible. These are still part of the block information but are not plotted. You can extract the attributes into a table, spreadsheet or database for BOQ etc.

regards
Cherrypicker

Attributes to blocks are completely user definable so your examples are referenced to the items of information the author of the block set up.

Whether the attribute should be visible is again down to how it was set up in the first place. This (to my knowledge) can only be assessed when a block is exploded.

regards

Francist - Given the age of the files, that would not be the cause of the invisible attributes. Dynamic blocks were introduced in AutoCAD 2008 I believe.

I would submit then that the invisible attributes and their purpose are known only to the original author(s).

And is there anything that tells whether the Attribute should be visible?

You should be able to edit the attributes (attedit) to see how they were defined.

Ralph
Structures Consulting
Northeast USA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back