Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Attributes NX 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cmesserli

Mechanical
Jul 18, 2024
US
How do you get attributes to auto populate in a drawing title block? I'm coming from SolidWorks platform and I have to said NX sucks!!!!!!! SolidWorks I just fill in custom properties and link that to what cell I want in the title block to auto populate and its done. This should be a very simple process. I've invested over 3 days trying to get a title block to auto populate. I'm at my wits end. What do I fill out in the attributes to make this work??

part_format_mxw7jt.png
catalog_rfrfzs.png
solidworks_kuvst2.png

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Here's a little tip for you future life :
When you are on vacation and need some guidance to find your hotel,
do not open the question to the local policeman by saying that he is ugly and smells bad. Maybe he doesn't want to help and maybe it's time for a drug check....
It's what i call a "negative opening".

Anyway,
If you have "mapped" the text in a title block to an attribute, depending on if that attribute is synchronised to some other system such as Teamcenter etc
- it will automaticaly update. (in some cases it updates on file open / file save.)
If it's not mapped to other systems, Right click the file in the assembly navigator - Properties.
The attributes you see there are the one "in this file".

You are showing a dialog for "Attribute templates" which will not populate "this file" with attributes.
Attribute templates is a way you can define the attribute titles ( not values, only the titles and maybe the default values) that you want to enter in all your drawings.
I.e I define in the Attribute templates dialog the following :
Designer
Company
Department

( note, if you enter a value here, that will be the default value but can be overwritten in each drawing file.)

When you later open a drawing and go File-Properties ( Or right click -Properties as mentioned above)
You will see the attribute titles mentioned above, enter the values to these :
Designer = Tomas
Company = XYZ Designs
Department = Web support

The attribute template attributes will become created in the drawing file IF you enter a value to it, before that it's "displayed only but not created/saved".

The title block will update on these values.

Regards,
Tomas

The more you know about a subject, the more you know how little you know about that subject.

So, this is still not working. I'm so confused on why this is not working. Do I assign under Catalog for the dwg template and then assign under part file for the part? How should this be setup correctly? This is making zero sense on mapping this out.

Get some training! It kills me how many companies hire new employees and do not invest in them with training on the company CAD tool. People switching jobs from one with CAD tool A to CAD tool B still need trained on CAD tool B. They are all just a bit different that an experienced instructor can quickly show you the shortcuts to be productive.
Training is not an expense; it is an investment in the employee.

"Wildfires are dangerous, hard to control, and economically catastrophic."

Ben Loosli

Looslib

We had training. I've used Creo, Autodesk Inventor, and SolidWorks. NX is by far the most complicated to navigate through. The CAM package is great but to do something as simple as assigning attributes to a cell in a title block is insane. It should not be that difficult.

If you use "drawing template parts" you can skip the "Attribute templates" completely.
You create the needed attribute titles ( not the values) in the template file and "map" the cells to these attributes.
When later creating a drawing , NX will load the template partfile and rename this, you go File -Properties in the new drawing and assign some values to the existing attributes, which in turn will/should update the corresponding cells in the title block.

I can create a example file from scratch and upload when i am back into work. ( vacation now)

Regards, Tomas

The more you know about a subject, the more you know how little you know about that subject.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back