Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

auger to test soil bearing 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

PSlem

Geotechnical
Oct 5, 2003
US
A local professor had recommended an auger about 1" diameter that is screwed into the ground with a torque wrench as a quick method to determine soil strength. Who makes one and where would I find a technical discussion on the principals?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Paul Mayne is a good guy. Although we have our friendly professional disagreements, I seriously doubt that he would approve of the use of "his" approach to perform $65 "geotechnical studies."

I'll certainly ask the next time I talk to him. Probably at the Geo Institute meeting in Austin, Texas next January 24 & 25, 2005. Geo Frontiers 2005 It's a good place for meeting your peers and sharing our experiences - hope to see all of you there.

(I'm not a part of the organizing committee, and receive nothing tangible for this "plug.")

[pacman]

Please see FAQ731-376 for great suggestions on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips Fora. See faq158-922 for recommendations regarding the question, "How Do You Evaluate Fill Settlement Beneath Structures?"

dpa,

I'm in Victoria and for a bearing pressure test I would expect to pay between $400 and $600. This will ussually include 3 boreholes, sample assesment and recommended bearing pressure.

Given the cost of insurance these days ($I've just paid A$10,000 and I only do site classifications to AS2870) I'm not surprised at the cost.

I generally charge a minimum of $300 for anything geotech. and on average do 150 sites a year.

regards
sc

I also work in the Metro Atlanta area and note that most of the counties allow "third party engineers" to perform inspections in lieu of the building inspector. As it is hard to inspect for $65-75 per site, the counties allow the third party engineers to use technicians to perform the inspections and then stamp the technicians work. The third party engineer must provide e&o coverage which provides the builder better coverage than using a county inspector who is not usually liable for his work. Our firm also performs similar inspections, generally after the house foundations have failed. Our fee structure varies from $500 to $1000.00+, however, it entails hand auger/dcp testing up to mobilizing a drill rig and performing SPT borings. We will note that a majority of our work is follow up testing on foundations that have failed and is for the purpose of determining remedial measures and quantitative data for legal action. We have observed that letting a technician or even an engineer test the surface with a probe rod and assuming all deeper fill is good can be a very dangerous and not worth the $65 to $75 in fees.

THANK YOU for sharing your first hand observations of the pitfalls of this very dangerous approach. Particularly since you probably deal mostly with clay soils -

[pacman]

Please see FAQ731-376 for great suggestions on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips Fora. See faq158-922 for recommendations regarding the question, "How Do You Evaluate Fill Settlement Beneath Structures?"

I agree with LabSuper. Doing a geotechnical site investigation for $65 let alone $300 is crazy. I'm definitely putting in an application at McDonalds (flipping burgers) if this is the direction our profession is headed.

We are generally in the $1000 to $1200 (US) range here in the coastal plains area where I practice, and borings are done for each project. Consequently we don't get a lot of residential work. No problem.

To those firms who insist on providing loss leader services to contractors and make it up on other services, you have no concept of what you are doing to our profession. Remember, when you give a contractor a price, that's what he thinks its worth. If he thinks a site investigation is worth $65, the next guy that comes along has to spend $300 just re-educating him. It is a disservice to your competition and to the profession in general. Those are the people who should be going to work flipping burgers...not the ones who try to hold the ethics and stature of the profession.

I have read quite a bit about the probe test by Drs. Yokel and Mayne and am curious as to why the "modified" 3/4" auger bits have not been available commercially? Is there a particular reason that anyone knows about?

Very few reputable engineers/firms see any real benefit in using it, I suppose. There isn't much market for it.

[pacman]

I've showed it to Geo Durham and told them it's an untapped market. Admittedly it's for cohesive soils only. Maybe you can get some input other than sarcasm from the "reputable engineers/firms."

The optimist sees the glass as half full. The pessimist sees the glass as half empty. The engineer see the glass as too big.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back