Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Australian Standards 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

cv1

Materials
Jan 23, 2001
AU
As a long term user of Australian Standards I am curious to know if anyone outside Australia uses or applies these standards. U.S. standards (i.e. ASTM, SAE, ANSI, API) are extesnivly used here so I am interested in knowing if the reverse is the case anywhere.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

cv1,

I was a long-term user of AS and still refer to them occasionally, but in the USA everything references US standards - you seldom (never!) see any reference to other codes, not EURO, AS or others etc.

In ACI 440 (on composites FRP's) there is some reference to Japanese standards...but i have never seen any ref to any AS on this or other subjects.

I have to design a bunch of stainless steel(304) pressure vessels to both the ASME sec VIII div. 1, and the AS 1210 codes. I am quite familiar with the ASME code, but not with the AS1210; I have just bought the AS 1210-1997 + others in CD-rom standards.
I would appreciate if somebody could help me on this, thank you.

cv1,

The Australian Standards committees are generally aiming to clone ISO Standards anyway to form AS. I cannot recall which, however there was an AS that was largely used in generating an ISO standard. Something in the industrial vehicle range.

I know that ACI 440 is about FRP for strengthening. I need a ACI 440 specifications. But it is very expensive. If there is any text that contains ACI 440, please send me the address of it.

Tanks to AS 1210.
Does Australia now require a designer, and a verifier (to approve/take liability) - for ASME/AS 1210 pressure vessels?
I've done this route for cylinders (DOT type) - but wondered if an ASME Section VIII vessel could be allowed into Australia w/ the above approval approach?

Wahlbanger

You must first ascertain the hazard level of the equipment as per AS4343. Once you have done this AS3920.1 must be used to ascertain the verification requirements in relation to the hazard level. This is regardless of the design standard used. I have hade to have vessels to ASME VIII-1 and BS5500 verified in Australia.

AS4343 = hazard levels pressure equipment
AS3920.1 = QA requirements pressure vessels
Bogu

AS/NZ Standards are generally the same, as Australia and New Zealand form a combined standards group. Check the Standards web site to confirm if the standards required are on e and the same. Usually titled as: AS/NZ 4343 for example.

regards
sc

Wahlbanger most Australia States require Design Verification and 3rd Party Inspection if AS4343/AS3920.1 calls up the vessel or pipe as hazardous, the degree of Hazard determines the need or otherwise of the Verification and Inspection...Aybee.

I have a vessel designed for -5kPag at 8.2m dia x 16m high.
AS4343 Table 1, Item 2: Vacuum vessels – applies to Vessels >0.05MPa gauge so it appears my vessel is not classified according to AS4343. However, Note 10 states that vessels with a design pressure/vacuum above the AS1210 figures for pressure/vacuum (mine falls above the vacuum curve) shall be classified according to AS4343.
It then states that vessels with a design pressure/vacuum <0.05MPa gauge but still above the AS1210 figure for pressure/vacuum will be determined by using a value of 0.3 * Pressure * Volume rather than the actual Pressure * Volume. However, the Pressure * Volume formula is used by AS4343 to determine Pressure Hazard Levels not Vacuum and therefore the note does not seem to be applicable.
Is my vessel C or E?
AS3920.1 Amt 1 (superceded) stated vessels <0.05MPa were Level E

Coold

You have to use the design pressure x 0.3 as per note 10 of AS4343 together with the volume to arrive at the pv value.Then use the chart to find the hazard level.Using the section for vacuum vessel being section 2.You must also consider note 4 of the table as this may change the pv value

Bogu

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back