Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

AUTO BAD-LOONS !

Status
Not open for further replies.

moog2

Mechanical
Jan 16, 2007
AU
I logged an ER exactly 6 years ago, To get the auto balloon function improved, but it still hasn't been fixed.
The problem is that the auto balloons are NOT associative. If you re attach the leader to a different component an update will NOT fix the call out number, as it will do if you use manual balloons.
This would not bother me as much if the auto balloons picked a mid point of the component when they are created, because I wouldn't need to move them.
On our assembly drawings of essentially large steel structures of prismatic components, the auto balloons always pick end points, and as such if multiple components all intersect together, you can't tell what is what. Hence the need to move them.
If you by mistake move an auto balloon to a different component, you can't tell and it won't get fixed EVER.
Using manual balloons is the only way to ensure its right, but when you work with lazy people, and large assemblies they'd rather hit "auto balloon".
If you end up with both manual and auto mixed together, you could end up with the situation shown in this jpeg, where 2 different leaders point to the same part. I moved the left Auto balloon down from the other part, then added 2 manual balloons, NO AMOUNT OF UPDATES CAN FIX THIS.

I'd like to urge anyone who sees this as a bad floor in the auto balloon function, to report this issue, and try to get it fixed.

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=cd65dcc4-7309-4cd8-a746-42fdc48f2a2c&file=DSC03006-2.jpg
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hope you are not using multiple part lists in one drawing file, to check look at variable UGII_UPDATE_ALL_ID_SYMBOLS_WITH_PLIST = 1 (One).

If that's the case then you just need to update part list, after you make reattachment of ID-Balloon. Reattachment need to be made on edge pre NX8.5.

I've written a few journals that try to identify and minimize errors when working with parts list balloons. The first one identifies balloons on the drawing that are not attached to a component:
thread561-352627

This one reports parts that are completely missing balloons.

And finally, this one helps when moving balloons to a better location; when selecting the new leader location, it limits the selection to edges of the proper component. Caveat: it was written when I was working on NX 8 and doesn't work well with the new "exact" drafting view type (it works with the "Pre-NX 8.5 exact" view type).

www.nxjournaling.com

Rare earth...only 1 parts list, updating the parts list DOESN'T correct the AUTO ballon ID, if its been moved to a different component. (try it!)

Cowski, that last journal would be a great help, but unfortunately, I'm using NX10. maybe i'll try using your second journal, and stick to manual balloons. Would it be possible to get the last one running again?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back