Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Auto balloon/bill of materials

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrunoA

Mechanical
Oct 16, 2007
US
Hi all,

I am trying to add balloons (calling out part numbers) to a drawing of an assembly and it only lets me add balloons for the three sub-assemblies. Basically it only adds 3 balloons, (A, B, and C) for the sub-assemblies, to the drawing. If I try to annotate any individual parts it fills the balloon with the name of the corresponding sub-assembly. I've gotten it to add all the individual part names before, but now I don't remember what I did differently.

I also need to know if it's possible to use a different bill of materials, to call out parts from. I know you can select the assembly when you select the bill of materials, so I assume that's the only way to do it, but I wanted to ask anyway.

Thanks a lot,

Bruno

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Bruno

open bill of material in assembly drawing you have prepared in advance and simply expand items with (+) signs. Then you can add baloons to individual parts.

Franco

Excuse me if I have misunderstood your problem but to me the solution seems to be as follows

When you add the balloons on the first balloon added a box appears. In this box which is default to 'structured' choose 'parts' from the drop down menu. Then it will let you pick individual components.

Additionally if you add a parts list to the drawing first, choose 'parts only' instead of 'structured' and it will show all the parts in all the sub assemblies on one top level

To add to Azum's response, you can change the subassemblies from "normal" to "phantom" in the BOM and this will make all the constituent parts visible in a structured BOM rather than the subassemblies.

David

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back