Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Auto dimensions while sketching 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

NickDOS

Mechanical
Jun 16, 2015
US
I was wondering if there is a way to force the auto dimensions while sketching to use the "Sketch Origin" instead of what seems to be the closest object?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

First off, what is it that you wish to suggest as an ER? That being said, the best way to make sure that an ER has been opened is to contact GTAC and have them help you with that.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Engineering Software
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Digital Factory
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

To be able to define what auto dimensions use as an origin, I am very often using the sketch origin as my "0".

I was asking because I didn't an area on the GTAC site for ERs, is that something I need to do over the phone?

Thanks

Knowing how it's done, that's not as easy as it might sound.

As for opening an ER, generally what happens is that an IR (Incident Report) is opened first and then it gets converted to an ER. And yes, you can do that over the phone if you wish.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Engineering Software
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Digital Factory
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

I submitted this to GTAC, and got a response. It is currently possible to do this.

While in the Sketch, go into the ‘Inferred Constraints and Dimensions’ dialog and reorder the rules so that ‘Create Dimensions to Reference Axes’ is at the top. Now the Auto Dimensions should be created to the Sketch origin.

Edit: If you want to make this a persistent change.

1. File->Utilities->Customer Defaults.
2. Expand ‘Sketch’.
3. Select ‘Inferred Constraints and Dimensions’.
4. Select the ‘Dimension’ tab.
5. Move ‘Create Dimensions to Reference Axes’ to the top.
6. OK the Customer Defaults dialog.
7. Re-start NX.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back