Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Auto "designate"

Status
Not open for further replies.

joedem

Aerospace
Jul 12, 2001
US
Help

My engineers / designers have created hundreds of Pro E drawings and failed to turn on a switch within each drawing called "designate" in most of these drawings. The drawings are filed in "Intralink". Consequently, when I go into Intralink and look through all the diectories, all I see is part and drawing numbers but no names!!!

Each drawing does in fact have a drawing name. The names are stored within the model parameters called "description" and "description2"

The drawing / part name is there but Intralink does not display it.

I'm told the correct info is stored in the model but since the drawing's "designate" switch is off, Intralink can't see the title and won't display it. At least this is what my people are telling me......I myself have never used Pro E so I don't know what's possible and what's not.

In any event, numbers with no names are of little or no use to me.

I am told the only way that we can get Intralink to display the part/drawing title is to call up each drawing within Pro-E and set the "Designate " switch to on. I am told once the switch is on Intralink will display the drawing / part title.

Is this true???

Is there a quicker way to allow Intralink to display the drawing names other than re-openeing each drawing and setting the "designate" switch to on? Or must we bite the bullet and do that to each drawing??

Is there a quick way we can set the "designate" switch to "on" for these drawings all at once en mass??

Is there a way I can program and or set Intralink to read the drawing / part name even if the drawing's "designate" switch is off??

What I want to end up with is a list generated by intralink that shows all the drawings we have stored at Intralink that shows both the part/drawing number AND the part/drawing name.

Finally, Can anyone recommend a good fundamentals book on Pro E?? I need to learn and learn quick.......at least about Pro E capabilities and where I can find quick answers.

I skimmed the Pro E manuals we received with the program but they are not very helpful. The Pro E manuals seem to be written for people who already know PRO E.

To Sum up:

Any way to get Intralink to see drawing titles without the drawing's "designate" switch on?

Any way to turn the "designate" switches to "on" in all the drawings at once??

The name of a good Pro E tutorial manual?

Thanks,

Joe

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi Joe,

Switching on Designate in the drawing/ part files is the only way to get this information visible in iLink. You should be able to automate it using Pro/Batch and a mapkey to switch it on. It's been a while since I've used Pro/Batch though, so you'll need to look on the PTC TS pages for some tips on how to use it.
SDC publications do good Pro/E books, they're available on Amazon.

Enjoy,

Bruce Jackson,
JS CAD Consulting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back